Wot size wire?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've bin arksed by me boss to wire up a couple of 75kW motors and im wonderin what size wire i nead.

Thx

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
We need a bit more than that :rolleyes: What is the power factor? What will be the method of installation? What is the supply type? Are you asking us to do your home work for you :D

I started to do some back of the virgin media bill letter envelope sums but I realised I have not done this in a while. I need to get my college notes out. I know you know how to do this, but on something like this what would you use as the OCPD's? BS88's or MCBs? I am not to sure what the inrush current would be like on something like this.

Adam

it needs to be long enough to reach the motors.

What is the power factor and efficiency and starting frequency and load characteristics of said motors ? ;)

Also need to know flc of individual motors, length of run, delta or star on block terminations, inverter drive or is it star/delta start, run in conduit or on cable tray etc

Off top of head you will probably need 25²mm 3 core+cpc, swa, possibly more cores if there are thermistors/klixons fitted and also the possibility of internal heating tapes. Unlikely to need a neutral unless you have some control equipment that requires one.

So, to sum up, we need a lot more info: i.e.

Motor size=75kW (AC or DC?)
Full Load Current.
Length of Cable Run.
Method of Cable Installation. (Conduit, Trunking, Tray, Clipped?)
Method of Protection. (mcb's, Cartridge/rewirable Fuses etc)(Bear in mind starting current can be as much as 6 or 7 times the FLC)
Atmospheric conditions. (Open air, Explosive atmosphere((need to be certificated for this one)), submersible pumps etc)
Mechanical connection to machine. (Gearbox, Belt & Pulley, Direct Coupling etc)

If you are doing this after Christmas I should be able to give you a better idea of how we would tackle it. i'm off till 29th so may have a bit of trouble picking some brains.

I've bin arksed by me boss to wire up a couple of 75kW motors and im wonderin what size wire i nead.

Thx

Well that should be easy enough - just ask your boss how much he is prepared to spend on wire and then buy the largest size you can get for that :D.

what size is bell wire?

use two lengths per phase, with the ends wound together.
If the lengths arn't long enough, simply extend with a few 17th edition junction boxes or choc blocks wrapped in packing tape.

it'll be sweet ;)

I may have had a sherbert or two yesterday :LOL:

I do have a proper question about these giant motors, but I'll ask later when I have a bit more time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back