Would I need to upgrade to current regs?

Sponsored Links
As you are using it as a workshop I wouldn't use a 30mA RCD in the house. A straight SWA run from the barn CU to the house CU will be the best option, other than that you may protect the cable where it is buried less than 50mm in a wall or partition using another method so it doesn't need RCDd, your electrician ought to be able to advise.

When you have two normal RCDs in series ie an RCD in the consumer unit supplying a SRCD it is anyones guess as to which one will trip first, (even if the upstream one is larger i.e. 100mA which may not comply with the current regs anyway). Selective RCDs upstream will discriminate but they cannot be used for unprotected concealed cables buried <50mm in a wall or partition.

Sponsored Links
So it sounds like I have to put a 30mA RCD at the house end, due to the cable in the wall which now can't be changed.

If there was then another RCD in the barn, it's not that it's anything wrong, but it's simply duplication and there will be no guarantee as to which RCD would trip, am I correct?
I understand it's not going to be ideal having the RCD in the house, but it's not far from the barn to the house, so doesn't bother me too much, especially if I put some maintained lighting in like BAS has suggested.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back