Would like some advice on what to do with this unused space in the roof..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

Bare with me, I'll try to explain this as best I can. We've got a loft conversion bedroom in which there remains a bit of eaves space behind the wall.

Here's a picture:

0.jpg

So what this is is the space directly behind one of the walls in my bedroom. To get to this, there is a small access panel which is big enough to crawl into. The plasterboard running along the left of the image is the wall itself, and I'd really like to do something with this space. Both in eco terms, as it's quite draughty with a lot of outside noise permeating through.

My idea is thus: Cut a big old hole in the wall, and then build an enclosure in this space in which I create nice big pull out clothing drawers, etc.. I feel like that's the best use of the space, as clothing storage in the room is limited. What do you guys think of that?

Secondly, is there anything I can do with the floor of this space and the roof, in terms of insulation, etc..? Here's another pic of the opposite side of the space:

IMG-3424.jpg

What's the best course of action to get this space warmer and more insulted? I don't intend on this space being accessible or usable as a room at all, obviously...

I'm thinking of putting insulation in between the rafters, then covering with insulating plasterboard, and then doing the same with the joists in the floor below (after flattening out all the polystyrene insultion, etc).

Is that a good idea for this space, or is there something else?

All ideas welcome!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back