Would like to learn more please

mst

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good mourning! :p

Can someone tell me how i can work out how many l/v lights can go on a transformer and how to work it out with the transformer ratings etc.

Also im intrested to learn more about light dimmers and how to work out wattages with diffrent lamps etc.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
lamps have the wattage printed on them

Lighting transformers have their rting printed on them

if a lighting transformer says says 105 watts max them the max you can put on it is 105 watts. So it could be 2 x 50 watt lamps OR 5 x 20w lamps

:D Thanks breezer ,i was hoping it would be that simple.

And the dimmer question? anyone.

Sponsored Links
similar with dimmers.

dimeer can only dim its max rated wattage

so if it says 250 watts it cant dim 300 watts

HOWEVER if its halogen lamps you are dimming, most dimmers need to be de rated by 50% (read the instructions on the box)

you cant dim most CFL lamps

its pointless having 10 ceiling lights if you are going to dim them, install less in the first place.

Halogen lamps do not work well when dimmed by the nature of the halogen lamp. They need to be at a high tempreture to work properly which they wont be if dimmed

Something I do (the advice above is not wrong) when I use dimmers with transformers I would multiply the value of the total load by 1.8; for example if I have a set of 4 lights of 50W each, the load will be 200W, the transformer should be at least 200W I would recommend a bit more. The dimmer I would use would be of 400W minimum. As a in any case I do not use dimmers that their value is less that 400W , but this is me.

I would recommend to use a smaller transformer for each light fitting separately.

BTW when I use dimmers with GU10 bulbs (main voltage) I still use 400W dimmers as minimum the reason for this is that you need sometimes to add one or two light fittings and if you are using a smaller value dimmers you might need to change the dimmer switch or see it in liquid state.... ;) [/u]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back