Would RCD kick in.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Been cutting slabs with an angle grinder and have been advised to keep the blade cool while cutting with perhaps a hose aimed at the blade in a trickle.

As water and electric do not mix, I am loath to do this for obvious reasons but am wondering if the RCD on the consumer unit would have been adequate protection in the event of water penetrating the grinder.

What do you think?

Sponsored Links
Not really no.

An RCD is to electrical installations the same as an air bag is to cars.

It is there as a back up so that if all else goes wrong hopefully you will not be killed.

It is not there to prevent you getting an electric shock, it will just hopefully limit the severity of the shock to a less than fatal level.

playing a little water over a slab is great for killing the dust, but the initial information of keeping the blade cool is wrong. if you feel the need to cool the blade, run it in the air to allow it to cool.

personally i've never had a blade get 'too hot' and i have used the cheapest diamond blade i could find on ebay, right up to the most expensive marcrist blades.

have been advised to keep the blade cool while cutting with perhaps a hose aimed at the blade in a trickle
Obviously not advised by anyone who has actually done that.

If you did this, the resulting slurry of water and stone particles will splatter everywhere and make a hideous mess which will coat everything in the vicinity.

Sponsored Links
If you really need blade cooling go and hire one that has this facility, as mentioned before you'll end up covered from head to toe in cack

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back