would the alarm go of if i've ripped out some cables

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi guys

i was working on a store today and the manager there said that i had ripped through his alarm cable while installing a new fire escape.

the reason he believed this is because he saw the old window grill i had just removed and in it was some wiring running through all the hollow section tubes

i didn't notice any wiring coming from it when i removed it and i could not find any lose ends around the frame from which i may have pulled the grill out of

there was also not magnet box on the frame and the alarm didn't go of nor did they get a phone call from the alarm company to say there was a fault or alarm on their system yet the guy was adamant i had ripped through his wires even though he could not show me any proof apart from the fact the old grill had wires in it.

so my question is if i had ripped through them would there be a way to know about it?

Sponsored Links
you'd expect some response from an alarm to having it's wires cut, either a tamper if it's disarmed or a full blown alarm if it's armed.

It's possible the cables in the grille were old ones that were no longer in use, often cables aren't removed when systems are replaced, particularlly if they are hard to get to.

It's his responsibility to remove them or at least make you aware of them.

cheers guys

I know it's he's responsability but he was just being a douche

any way the good news

he called out the alarm technician
saying that "some idiot had ripped through he's alarm and it needed replacing ASAP"

how much of a tit did he feel when the technician came and said
" mate theres not been alarm on this window for a very , very long time"

ha ha i laughed so much . The tw** should of listened when i told him i hadn't cut any cables. Also put in a formal complaint against him for the way in which he spoke to me. so happy times

Sponsored Links
The windows probably had the old aluminium foil on them - not seen it in decades.

There was a system that used thin aluminium hollow bars, usually in a wooden frame, to give an appearance of a barred grill, but there were thin alarm wires stretched taught throughout them. Bending the bar was meant to snap the wire and set off the alarm.

I'd even forgotten about that stuff. Gardiner Security used to sell it the late 80s.

It's called tube and batten and was normally made by the installer onsite to suit the window/door/skylight.

Not used now, but it still complies.

There was a system that used thin aluminium hollow bars, usually in a wooden frame, to give an appearance of a barred grill, but there were thin alarm wires stretched taught throughout them. Bending the bar was meant to snap the wire and set off the alarm.

thats the stuff

i tried to explain it was a long time un used but he was daft

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back