Would this be a non material amendment?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I have PP for a part single storey and part double storey side extension which is now being built. The PP was for the single storey part to have a double pitched roof that looks like this ^, ie an upside down v.

The front end was meant to have a hip.

I've decided that it would look better with a gable at the front instead of a hip. Would this be a non material amendment?

Thanks for your help

Sponsored Links
We can't tell you, only your council can.. What's immaterial in one case is material in another. Write to the planning team and ask them.

As above, only your LPA can decide. As you have already had PP granted, there's no harm in getting back in contact with the Planning Officer first instead of going down the formal route.

However from previous experience, they would not consider this as a NMA due to the increase in volume. LPA's try to insist on hip roofs where possible as it reduces the impact on neighbouring properties.

I could never understand the terminology here.

If it's a material amendment, then surely it would need a new planning application, as Planning have to take into account matters which are material.

If it's non-material, then the change of itself shouldn't need planning permission.

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys.

DOH, when you say there would be an increase in volume are you referring to the roof space? I assumed when I read guidance on the matter and they mentioned increases in volume they meant the habitable portion.

Thanks to all.

If it's non-material, then the change of itself shouldn't need planning permission.

I think of it as a "permission to deviate from the prescribed plan" so that no one comes complaining about the "the development will be carried out in accordance with the plans X" condition

but I also agree with you - if it's immaterial, it's like the internal rooms - no one should care about it

What I meant was a gable has more volume/bulk than a hip, hence not being too favoured by LPA's.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back