Would this make supplementary bonding easier ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Found a small hatch in the lobby area of the extension, between the Kitchen/Bathroom. Underneath it is this :-

multigate.jpg

It appears that four of the cold water supplies in the bathroom ( Cistern, Bath, Basin & Shower are connected via these gate valves. Could I use this arrangement as a connection point for all the exposed cold water pipes for suplementary bonding ? I hope so, coz it's an easy path to the lighting cpc ( only electrical feed into the bathroom ) & I can also access the radiator pipes, hot water pipe from the multipoint & gas feed to same.

Thanks as always

Sponsored Links
you could, except that I just know you're going to glue the hatch down, then nail laminate flooring over it, then glue a carpet on top, so they will no longer be accessible for inspection and maintenance.

BTW they meed BS Insulation (Climaflex or similar, which is as thick as your arm) since they appear to be in an unheated void.

you could, except that I just know you're going to glue the hatch down, then nail laminate flooring over it, then glue a carpet on top, so they will no longer be accessible for inspection and maintenance.

Lol :LOL: I guess there speaks the voice of experience. There won't be any chance of that though John, coz the lobby is only about 5' by 2-1/2'. All I'm gonna do there is screw the hatch back down again and fit cheap carpet tiles. With it being the main access for the backway, it gets loppered, I can just replace the tiles when they get worn. I like access hatches anyway :D

BTW they meed BS Insulation (Climaflex or similar, which is as thick as your arm) since they appear to be in an unheated void.

There was insulation on them but it was only about 1-1/2" thick. I removed it for the photo.

So as long as I keep it accessible, that idea will be OK ?

maybe if you fit some recessed brass lifting rings to the hatch, it will be more obvious to the next carpet fitter?

btw 18mm ply will stand up better than chipboard, and it needs a supporting frame all round.

Sponsored Links
maybe if you fit some recessed brass lifting rings to the hatch, it will be more obvious to the next carpet fitter?

Hmmmm, neat idea John - and easy to do.

btw 18mm ply will stand up better than chipboard, and it needs a supporting frame all round.

Yeah, I can agree with that, I've got a fair bit of ply left from shelving the new van out, so I'll use a bit of that.

Finally, Supplementary bonding is 4mm earth wire isn't it ? And am I right that this work isn't notifiable, so I can get on and do that now ?

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back