Would you believe it?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A few years ago I was asked to have a look at some wiring for a local market. A stall holder had lost his supply and could I check it out.

Here's a little of what I found. Prepare to be amazed! :eek:

No's 1 & 2,

Nice and tidy?

At least there are a few spare ways!

Well some of the earths are covered! ;)

Nice secure terminations :?:

This was supplying 2x4 gang extentions! :eek:

Ooops! forgot the grommet! :LOL: :LOL:

I shut down 7 stalls that day and was not very popular when I turned up un-announced 2 weeks later with 2 'Heavies' to virtually close down the entire market and discovered 4 meter by passes!
Those that were left open were safe and legal but less than a year later the place burnt down after being petrol bombed by an irate ex-stall holder who had been turfed out after my little visit.

Sponsored Links
How did I screw up my image?
It's what I found, not my work.
Or was that tongue in cheek?

Sorry, see what you mean. Late bed early rise. Not quite with it yet! :LOL:

Now edited.

Sponsored Links
Hi Conny.

So are you an electrical contractor or do you work for a DNO? J
ust trying to understand where your authority comes from to shut down those sites.

He might have had the Authority from the installation owners (the council say) or even HSE/Enviromental health etc.
But yes it would be interesting to know

They were breaking all kinds of regulations not to mention the law by obtaining electricity illegally and yes I had the market owners permission and authority to terminate their supply immediately.

I am not a contractor, at the time in question I was working as an electrical fitter in one of the owners other companies and because of my background he thought I was best suited for the task.

Dingo, that was my first thought when I climbed on top of the room where I found it! :LOL: Then I realised the seriousness of it!

Come on guys, what was I supposed to do? Just walk away and hope the owner would eventually get someone else in to sort it and in the meantime worry that someone might be killed if they came into contact with something or worse, a fire broke out and there were hundreds of shoppers in there? I am not 'proud' of shutting someone down, after all it is their livelihood. But to put peoples lives at risk so they can save a few quid by not paying for their electricity or overloading an already dangerous situation instead of paying for an adequate safe system to their stalls, is in my opinion, reprehensible. Would you put your families life in danger by doing a shoddy job on your own electrics, or anyone elses electrics for that matter?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back