Would you buy a Worcester 24i/28i Junior?

Sponsored Links
Greetings - one to those that have them/work on them, I'm fed up with continually having to repair my no-name italian can't-get-any-parts 10 year old combi.

I'm looking at a 24i junior but have a monsoon shower (not power) and good mains water pressure, I see it's hot water flow rate is less than the 28i would this matter in practice (we only have one shower, so won't ever be two hot taps running at once)?

Also - anything else out there that is reliable, repairable and more affordable - shoudl I look at a Baxi/Valliant etc?

BTW I'm running 5 rads and 1 towel rail in a 2 up 2 down.

Comments appreciated,
Greg.

Forget wb

Get a Intergas combi 28/24 HRE only 4 moving parts and 5yrs parts and labour warranty

Really reliable boiler

ajdgas

:eek: Intergas think not!!

Maybe if you were a engineer you might think differently !

ajdgas

THere were other manufacturers that did the Intergas thing
4 pipe H/Es no Diverter valve

Worecester Glow Worm are two names that come to mind

neither of them produce such a boiler now...does that tell you anything????
P.S. I am a Service Engineer.

Greetings - one to those that have them/work on them, I'm fed up with continually having to repair my no-name italian can't-get-any-parts 10 year old combi.

I'm looking at a 24i junior but have a monsoon shower (not power) and good mains water pressure, I see it's hot water flow rate is less than the 28i would this matter in practice (we only have one shower, so won't ever be two hot taps running at once)?

Also - anything else out there that is reliable, repairable and more affordable - shoudl I look at a Baxi/Valliant etc?

BTW I'm running 5 rads and 1 towel rail in a 2 up 2 down.

Comments appreciated,
Greg.

Forget wb

Get a Intergas combi 28/24 HRE only 4 moving parts and 5yrs parts and labour warranty

Really reliable boiler

ajdgas

:eek: Intergas think not!!

Maybe if you were a engineer you might think differently !

ajdgas

i reckon his user name is the clue! :oops:

"onlyfitidealboilers"

Sponsored Links
THere were other manufacturers that did the Intergas thing
4 pipe H/Es no Diverter valve

Worecester Glow Worm are two names that come to mind

neither of them produce such a boiler now...does that tell you anything????
P.S. I am a Service Engineer.

Well they cant of followed it through very well because intergas have had the method running for 20yrs in the netherlands already. Iv seen one that is 15 yrs old to ! if you stripp one down and look at the design of the 2 heat exchangers you might think different

ajdgas

Ferroli had another diverterless design, now dropped.

The Intergas/Atmos boiler has a fair few cheap bits, the casing being one of them. It really isn't anything new, a fact that perhaps you are acknowledging now.

It is just another way of doing things, not new, not innovative, not necessarily better.

PS: Remind me how much it costs to replace the heat exchanger?

Ferroli had another diverterless design, now dropped.

The Intergas/Atmos boiler has a fair few cheap bits, the casing being one of them. It really isn't anything new, a fact that perhaps you are acknowledging now.

It is just another way of doing things, not new, not innovative, not necessarily better.

PS: Remind me how much it costs to replace the heat exchanger?

I wouldn't be worried about the price of the heat exchanger when you get 10yrs warranty on both of them , but don't no exact price but they are around same price as other boiler heat exchangers

ajdgas

Protherm were they made in Italy ? thought they were from some eastern european country ?? ( maybe )

Dealing with the intergas Atmos heat exc , they have been built to with stand dry firing not many modern boiler manus could or can match that !

Apart from the copper heat exc on a Keston Thermomatic ( not made anymore ) which was not made by Keston ! and yes I did see it demonstrated :)

most boilers are now full of cheap tacky plastic hydro blocks made by Wilo , who are pt of the Viessman group !

It should be true to say u only get what u pay for with ref to boilers ? not nessarily so , + the fact that stemers have only been fitted en-masse since 2005 :) alot of these 5 year warrantys will end in tears ( maybe ?)
Some or alot of these manus are so confident about there product that they give out 5 year + warrantys that are actually under written by D&G
u pay the premeumn whan u buy the boiler :D :D now theres confidence in there own product ?? or not ??

intergas! not in a million years! wouldn t have one for free

I would

In fact I will take any boiler for free , any boiler manus on here ? out there , I will take a boiler for free , promise it will not be used for commercial purposes add to my collection ( training only ) Mr Biasi I will take 1 for free even from u ,

Pre mix model only though :D

Protherm were they made in Italy ? thought they were from some eastern european country ?? ( maybe )

Dealing with the intergas Atmos heat exc , they have been built to with stand dry firing not many modern boiler manus could or can match that !

Apart from the copper heat exc on a Keston Thermomatic ( not made anymore ) which was not made by Keston ! and yes I did see it demonstrated :)

most boilers are now full of cheap tacky plastic hydro blocks made by Wilo , who are pt of the Viessman group !

It should be true to say u only get what u pay for with ref to boilers ? not nessarily so , + the fact that stemers have only been fitted en-masse since 2005 :) alot of these 5 year warrantys will end in tears ( maybe ?)
Some or alot of these manus are so confident about there product that they give out 5 year + warrantys that are actually under written by D&G
u pay the premeumn whan u buy the boiler :D :D now theres confidence in there own product ?? or not ??

5yrs warranty subject to alot of terms and conditions , someone before mentioned ideal ! ya look at the isar thats why they brought the logic out because it was nothing but a nightmare

When did Viessmann buy Wilo? :eek:

Think it may well be the other way around , same group of companys so I was told by a boiler manu last friday , also stated that Wilo are now the biggest boiler component manu in Europe ?? ( maybe ?) which figures to an extent as all pumps ( ?) are either wilo ( hydro blocks pump houseings ect ) or grundfoss apparently grundfosss are 20 pence a unit cheaper than Wilo at the moment for some manus hence the change to grundfoss for some :)

When did Viessmann buy Wilo? :eek:

Think it may well be the other way around , same group of companys so I was told by a boiler manu last friday , also stated that Wilo are now the biggest boiler component manu in Europe ?? ( maybe ?) which figures to an extent as all pumps ( ?) are either wilo ( hydro blocks pump houseings ect ) or grundfoss apparently grundfosss are 20 pence a unit cheaper than Wilo at the moment for some manus hence the change to grundfoss for some :)

Yes i agree , Last week was talking to a rep been at it along time and he quoted even grundfros get pumps made by wilo and badged for them

this thread is funny. Every boiler suggested has been rubbished by someone else ! Truth is if you go for a vaillant or WB you won't generally be dissapointed(I don't like WB as a repair engineer, pig to work on). Same could be said for a number of others now such as viessmann, baxi, remeha all are reasonably reliable on a good installation.
Personally I stick with Vaillant mostly now, they rarely fail but if they do i know i have a proper engineer and an agreed timeslot to fix it, not some agent who's off somewhere fitting a boiler. Many of the smaller manufacturers use agents, its pot luck whether the one you get will be any use, if you get him.
The Intergas is fairly new in the UK and some of us who live in hard water areas have expressed our concerns about scale. Intergas will not guarantee against scaling so clearly they are worried too ! The few parts it does have are quite cheap. Paddle flow switches are known for sticking and most manus left these behind years ago. The siemens gas valve can only be found elsewhere on a Ferrolli ! The fans in J&S Renos! So few parts, but cheap parts. They may be good but its too early to tell. Same could be said about the Logic which will be better than previous models thanks to generic proven hydraulics.
Your Protherm was manufactured in the Czech republic. The company is now owned by Vaillant and the Protherm factory has been converted to unvented cylinder manufacturing for vaillant, glowworm and SD. The boilers are usually, surprisingly reliable, but yours sounds like it may be handicapped by poor water quality. Its 24kw(80k btu).
The WB junior is a budget boiler and I would be tempted to give it a wide berth, having said that my sister had one for 5yrs from new without a hitch.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back