Would you like to install to view silly adverts.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The answer is no. I am getting annoyed that this forum keeps asking if I want to install flash with no "NO" option.

How can I stop these silly pop ups on these pages?

I installed flash on last PC and it was forever crashing so never again.

Sponsored Links
The answer is no. I am getting annoyed that this forum keeps asking if I want to install flash with no "NO" option. How can I stop these silly pop ups on these pages?
Adverts are annoying, but this is an issue which inevitably exists throughout the internet. Unless we are prepared to pay to participate in this forum (or any others), we really have to accept being exposed to advertising, hence also accept that those who run the site are unlikely to go out of their way to make it easy for us to avoid being exposed to adverts - which, I presume, are the site's only source of income.

Kind Regards, John

I don't mind the adverts it's the use of flash to display the adverts.
I presumed that. However, as I said, since many of the adverts do use flash (and that presumably is not going to change), the site is probably unlikely to make it easy for people to avoid the 'install flash' pop-ups which are annoying you.

Have you considered that if you let it install flash, but then 'disabled' it in your browser, that might be enough to shut up the pop-ups?

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
The answer is no. I am getting annoyed that this forum keeps asking if I want to install flash with no "NO" option.

How can I stop these silly pop ups on these pages?

I installed flash on last PC and it was forever crashing so never again.

Stop living in the past, millions if not billions of people install flash and their PC's do not crash because of it.

Stop living in the past, millions if not billions of people install flash and their PC's do not crash because of it.
True - but I'm not sure that's what eric meant. I have flash installed on all my machines and, although I've never been aware of a machine crashing because of it, flash itself (well, probably the browser) often tells me that 'flash has crashed'. Maybe that's what eric is referring to?

Kind Regards, John

I used to have a dreadful problem with the Firefox flash plugin crashing (multiple times per day), could never restart it, had to restart the browser.

Tried various things to fix it, nothing really worked. Since I've been on Windoze 7 the problem has gone away.

I work for a software developer and one of the applications that we make currently runs on Flash.

...and it's a nightmare - the customers hate it, our support folks hate it and we hate it. Trying to get a stable version that will run our app and other people's apps in pretty much impossible.

And there are security flaws, performance issues and stability problems. Same with Java on the desktop. Thankfully, for our app, it's slated to be replaced first half of next year.

I'm completely with Eric, that Flash is not a suitable application for website adverts - it just (in my opinion) shows the laziness of the people developing the ads; everyone else moved onto javascript and HTML5 years ago (for website adverts, I mean).

Lack of support for Flash in Android has something to do with that.

And iOS. At the time, I thought Steve Jobs was being a typical megalomaniac d*ck when he announced that Flash would not be allowed on iPhones but it wasn't long before I was persuaded that he was correct.
Jobs pretty much single-handedly killed Flash as a development platform, which turned out to be a good thing!

Now, we just need to persuade some people that Java is not an acceptable platform for desktop or web-based applications...

I would happily pay an annual forum fee to not have any adverts.... this is common on other forums.

I would happily pay an annual forum fee to not have any adverts.... this is common on other forums.

It's a tricky one, isn't it? I confess to using adblock because *most* sites have extremely obtrusive adverts. I notice an amazing difference when I swap to someone else's computer to browse a site that I know well - I spend a few minutes thinking "Wow - this is slow" and then realise that it's because the adverts are showing.

I sympathise with the website owners, though, because ads are what pays the bills and it means that the rest of us get to use the facilities for nowt.
But... in my opinion (and I run a handful of sites, myself) that means the onus needs to be on the site admins to lay down some ground rules on what is acceptable within the ad space. For example, on my sites, I never allow Flash or Java adverts (the latter is no longer an issue), and I strenuously monitor time-to-load for adverts; any that take more than 0.5 seconds to load are rejected.

I agree with phatboy, though; if people are happy to accept an ad-laden site for free or pay a very small amount each year for ad-free, then I would pay.

Sponsored Links
Back