Would you like to install to view silly adverts.

Yeah, especially in the number of websites that stop working.
At which point you can decide whether you want to allow it to work by allowing a bunch of sites you know nothing about to run scripts on your system.

Photobucket, for instance, does not work for me, and no way will I ever let it.

I suspect this one would be fine, though ;)
What's showing as blocked here are google-analytics.com, pagead2.googlesyndication.com and partner.googleadservices.com.

It still works.

Sponsored Links
meh

I don't have a problem with javascript and certainly can't be arsed white-listing or black-listing individual pages, scripts, or suchlikes. Adblock is granular enough for me.

Plus (and ironically, possibly?) I don't have an issue with tracking. My business and my hobbies make use of google tracking (amongst others) and I don't see the harm.
Except for sledge-hammer advertising, where I draw the line.

I would rather enable advertising for sites that I enjoy than have it thrust down my throat, to the extreme detriment of my browsing experience.

As I said earlier, it's the site hosts who must bear responsibility for the adverts that are shown; if they are unobtrusive* then I have no issue and will add the site to my adblock filter.

(*"unobtrusive" = no Flash, no Java, takes minimal screen real-estate, adds less than 500ms load-time to the page)

I know most of you don't live in Edinburgh, but check the local rag for obtrusive, slow, high-screen content advertising;
http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/

Sponsored Links
Back