Would you trust someone who uses a socket tester?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Alarm

As the only means of testing an addition to your existing wiring?

Sponsored Links
No I wouldn't. But that is because I know considerably more than the average house owner does as regards to the need to test, the reasons for testing and the test procedures necessary to ensure the installation is safe.

To the average house owner a "socket tester" can, with the users's gift of the gab, be made to look impressive and to be more than adequate to prove the new socket is safely wired.

it depends if they use the proper tester checking the earths impedance too...

http://www.cef.co.uk/catalogue/cate...trip-earth-loop-impedance-indicator?summary=1
Can I see the words
Does not detect Earth Neutral Reversal
printed on the front of that tester ? Hardly a full test of the socket.

Especially worrying if the installation is a TT system and a low impedance device when plugged in connects live to the CPC ( earth ) and the earth rod has dried out to become a high impedance.

Sponsored Links
it depends if they use the proper tester checking the earths impedance too...

http://www.cef.co.uk/catalogue/cate...trip-earth-loop-impedance-indicator?summary=1
Can I see the words
Does not detect Earth Neutral Reversal
printed on the front of that tester ? Hardly a full test of the socket.

Especially worrying if the installation is a TT system and a low impedance device when plugged in connects live to the CPC ( earth ) and the earth rod has dried out to become a high impedance.

Why would earth and netral be reversed? The installer would have got that bit right with the physical wiring up part.
The only cause then would be if the consumer unit was wired incorrectly. In that case the earth neutral fault would be obvious when nothing worked when it was switched on.

From the Martindale website about this tester
Earth loop measurement, and socket faults, are all indicated with bright, long-life LEDs. This unit should be used as an indicator only and not to provide readings for completion of certificates.

From YaleGuy3
Why would earth and netral be reversed? The installer would have got that bit right with the physical wiring up part.
Human error does exist during "the physical wiring up part". That is why there is a requirement for competance in the installer and full testing of all new circuits. And the same for existing circuits when a competant installer of equipment is using them for the electrical supply to the equipment he or she is installing.

If the tester threw up an indication of a fault then the installation could not be completed and the homeowner would be advised to get an electrician in to test their home wiring.
Plugging in to an existing socket requires non of the above testing though and things could be faulty and noone any the wiser.

So speaks the guy with no electrical background.

For your info, it is not uncommon for the supplier to get Live and Neutral on the incomer the wrong way round.

For your info, it is not uncommon for the supplier to get Live and Neutral on the incomer the wrong way round.

yes it happens all the time :rolleyes: Sorry but I have a copy of the 17th edition in my study. I was also tested on my knowledge in relation to the PAT testing certificate I hold which also covered socket testing.

yes it happens all the time :rolleyes: Sorry but I have a copy of the 17th edition in my study. I was also tested on my knowledge in relation to the PAT testing certificate I hold which also covered socket testing.
LOL

Wondered how long before you bragged about the PAT tessting.
It has no bearing on the Electrical Installation.

By the way,, once peeps have done their exam, virtually nobody refers to the regs. The onsite guide is far more useful.

It doesn't but it has a bearing on testing sockets.. in PAT testing you should test sockets as well as equipment..

The PAT test machine tests for earth impedance hence if someone gives you a new kettle or equipment to test and the earth impedance was too high you would have to check the socket to rule it out before condemming the equipment.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back