Wrong Handed door

Sponsored Links
Some door handles have a small hole allowing a thing like a golf tee to be inserted and the “side” changed.
Older ones could be taken apart and the catch reversed

I've had one lock apart and can see no way I can change things internally to change the hand. Its hard because things are held together with a circlip and my circlip removing tool has pins that are too big!
It seems screwfix may have a latch that fits in which case I will go down that route. If I cant find a replacement latch then I'll try taking one with the correct 'hand' apart and use it as a model to see if I can adapt the problem one .
Thanks for all or suggestions

DE267A56-857B-48AF-97B8-605E6670BF4F.jpeg 5CA50D3F-9231-462C-B856-0BFC700E3937.jpeg
I've had one lock apart and can see no way I can change things internally to change the hand. Its hard because things are held together with a circlip and my circlip removing tool has pins that are too big!
It seems screwfix may have a latch that fits in which case I will go down that route. If I cant find a replacement latch then I'll try taking one with the correct 'hand' apart and use it as a model to see if I can adapt the problem one .
Thanks for all or suggestions
This looks the same setup so just tried for pic , flip the spring and cam as in my previous post and swap the levers side for side

Sponsored Links
Unless I'm missing something, the OP already has a left and a right handle! :)
But there're working ar$e backwards??
Edit if you flip the springs and cams ,look at my pic, the lever/handle springs properly but is upside down unless swaped side for side

Last edited:
LostintheLight: I have to say it looks plausible. I'll have a go later tonight or maybe tomorrow. I'm on tidying up duty right now and if I dont get that done I'll probably spend Xmas in the garden shed!!

I cant see how it is possible in my case
If I flip the handles as suggested then pushing the handle down rotates the square spindle that moves the latch in the other direction but the spindle only rotates one way (there is some catch inside the latch mechanism that stops it turning the other way)
I'll try screwfix tomorrow

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back