Wrong Lane

Sponsored Links
The highway code states if you leaving at the first exit you should use the left hand lane, if you are turning right, or going right around a roundabout you sould use the right hand lane and for intermediate exit(s) you should determine for yourself which is the most appropriate lane to use. Obviously this is all over-ruled by any road markings/signs which tell you otherwise for that particular roundabout.

You should also indicate left as soon as you pass the exit before the exit you intend to leave at - very few people do this!

I must admit that when I was taught to drive my instructor told me its LH lane for any exit straight-on or before and RH lane for any exits 'beyond' straight-on. Maybe that was his thoughts on the safest lane to use, or maybe the highway code has been changed in the last decade?

I was taught the same thing.
Basically if the road ahead is at the 12 o'clock position you should be in the left hand lane to turn into it or any roads before that position.
You may use the right hand lane to proceed straight ahead and the road you are going to enter is NOT before the 12 o'clock position, however, if you do use the right hand lane to exit you must also use the right hand lane to enter the continuing road. Obviously whilst carrying out this manouvre you should be driving in the lane closest to the roundabout. Any exit you intend to take AFTER the 12 o'clock position then you should use the right hand lane.

As I have 1 roundabout on my way to work where people get in the "turn-right" lane and then turn left (often causing near-misses), and another on my way home, I would laugh my big rosy bottom off if I saw one of these queue-jumpers get pulled by the coppers.

Whenever someone commits the heinous offence of "gaining an advantage by driving like a gimp", like most people I love it when I carry on driving normally and legally but still end up in front of them (by choosing the "better" lane and reading the traffic ahead).

Especially if I can force them to lap a roundabout or remain on a motorway when they're trying to exit by pushing in...

I was taught the same thing.
Basically if the road ahead is at the 12 o'clock position you should be in the left hand lane to turn into it or any roads before that position.
You may use the right hand lane to proceed straight ahead and the road you are going to enter is NOT before the 12 o'clock position, however, if you do use the right hand lane to exit you must also use the right hand lane to enter the continuing road. Obviously whilst carrying out this manouvre you should be driving in the lane closest to the roundabout. Any exit you intend to take AFTER the 12 o'clock position then you should use the right hand lane.

It's so simple, isn't it? Yet so many people are as oblivious to this rule as the one about 30mph speed limits and road lighting. They cause accidents by using the wrong lane, they whinge. They get speeding tickets because they "thought it was a 40", they whinge.

Make everyone re-sit their test every few years and hopefully this sort of driving would decrease.

Sponsored Links
The thing that I can't understand is that those that 'get caught' often go on to do it again and then moan they are being persercuted. :eek:

UPDATE

Its now been 11 months since the "offence" and having opted for a court hearing I have heard nothing. :D

Do you think this has been shelved or am I likely to get a summons at some point in the future.

Does seem rather piddling for the magistrates to want to deal with. :D

Any thoughts

You broke the law, one I loathe being broken.
How do you think others feel after sitting in the queue and you pull that stunt?

I have a 3 lane to 2 near me and lots try and use the right filter to get in front, the cops hide and make them go back around two large busy roundabouts again :D Or if its a bad day they all get nicked.
If you want to filter ride a motorbike :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

^woody^ said:
Failing to comply with directional arrows painted on the road is an offence.

I don't think it is. The charge would have to be be something else if anything at all.[/quote]

Agreed - It would be interesting to know exactly what the charge is.

Failing to comply with a mandatory turn sign (white arrow-on-blue circular sign) is an offense. Lane arrows painted on the road are only guidelines, not mandatory.

Alarm said:
What was on the summons then Bahco?

:confused:

Not had a summons. I received a Fixed penalty notice for £30 in which you either pay or opt for a court hearing.

I chose the latter but have yet to receive a date of hearing.

I have never heard of anyone being done for being in the wrong lane and can't see a court being interested in dealing with this.

Keep you posted :D

Sponsored Links
Back