wrong size pipes?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi my plumber has run 15mm pipework from 1st floor to ground floor which then feeds 4 rads all doubles 2 * 1000*600 1 1200*600 and 1 1400*600 is this acceptable or should it be 22mm ? any advice would be great.

Sponsored Links
Well I would have done it in 22 mm but I am like that!

The general rule of thumb is 15 mm to no more than three rads. Most people say a max of 4 kW on 15 mm.

But if its well balanced and a condensing boiler then I dont thinkt here will be any problem.

Tony

thanks i'ma bit concerned because the rad on the end of the run is a 1400 by 600 double and we have to have it on max to get it warm sorry forgot to say its a combi vailliant 837

Sponsored Links
boiler was fitted downstairs with pipework running up to first floor with 22mm pipe for about 1 metre then all rads upstairs and downstairs come from 15mm 10 in total. he has agreed to change upstairs to 22mm but says the feed downstairs in 15 is fine I just want to make sure he gets it right this time.

By doing a total of the output of all the rads on this part of the system, I would say that 15mm is undersized. I would definitely have done it in 22mm.

The output of the 4 rads comes to approx 26,000 BTU, and 15mm is only really good for 15,000 BTU. Therefore, you may struggle to get them to heat up properly.

thanks Ive had the plumber back out and he has finally agreed to replace with 22mm pipe thanks for your help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back