WTD - Dimmable Security Light with PIR?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We're looking to get motion sensing security lights on the back of the house.

Having lived in other houses were the neighbours security lights blast their back garden, your back garden and half the neighbours bedrooms, I was thinking of getting a dimmable Security light.

As I don't know which strength light to get, a dimmable version (if they exist) seem a better option.

Has anyone come across a well priced one?
Is this a good idea?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
I've never seen a dimmerable security light as a standard offering. You could get a flood with a standard halogen lamp in it and fit a dimmer, I suppose.
There used to be some Hi-Lo ones (ie low light all the time, high illumination on detection) but these all seem to have been discontinued. Possibly as most are now LED, and dimming LEDs is tricky.

You could try for a couple of Solar Battery operated Security Lights ( No wiring) these give out a more localised beam and come with imitation red flashing activated burglar light

s-l225.jpg

There used to be some Hi-Lo ones (ie low light all the time, high illumination on detection) but these all seem to have been discontinued. Possibly as most are now LED, and dimming LEDs is tricky.
Indeed. However, I did see one recently (can't remember where) which appeared to do 'hi-lo' with LEDs by having two LEDs - one dim and the other a bit bright. A bit like having side lights and headlights on a car.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
IMO there is a great deal of "artistic licence" being used in the bottom depiction of how bright those are, probably to the extent of being illegal advertising.

Yes that is why I mentioned them , they have very localised beam which cuts out the Light Nuisance factor of lighting up the neighbourhood when a cat crosses the PIR sensor

You mentioned them because you think that their illustration of the light level they provide is seriously misleading, probably to the extent of being illegal.

Jolly good.

You mentioned them because you think that their illustration of the light level they provide is seriously misleading, probably to the extent of being illegal.

Jolly good.

I mentioned them because LED lighting does not have the same Lumination as the previous Halogen spot lights which when activated show up the surrounding neighbourhood like a High Security Prison complex. I am not responsible for the advert illustrations. the illustration shows this particular type of security lights shine into the property, not across the road into the neighbours gardens or bedrooms.

Just chooser a sensible power/output rating and point them properly. The two reasons most "security" lights do what you describe is because a) they are grossly overpowered, and b) they are aimed incorrectly. I've seen photos where someone demonstrated that the typical aiming (where they point outwards, not downwards) actually aids any buglar/miscreant by giving them enough light to see what they are doing, but not enough light to actually show them up, and also dazzling anyone who might otherwise see them. They really need to be pointed fairly well downwards - even if that means most of the light going down the wall.
It doesn't help that most of the units available have an excessively wide spread of light.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back