Wylex adding MCB's

Sponsored Links
Ban, I know you said,

And you'll have to fit an RCD socket, or a small CU with RCD protection, out in the shed, as Wylex do not do Type B RCBOs for that board
is this one not a Type B suitable for my CU.
32 Amp Wylex RCCBO 30mA Tripping Current
Takes up 1 module in the NH Range of Consumer Units
wyrcb1.jpg

Found it here
http://www.3kw.co.uk/mcb.html

BTW Thanks for the help in posting pictures Breezer.

Yet to look at the CU to clarify FWL's remarks in previous posting.
Two circuits should not share one MCB. How many cores into each MCB? If there are two rings into it then you will have FOUR red cores in the MCB, if there are only two then you have a single ring main.

Cheers

Yes, unfortunately, Wylex for some strange reason only make Type C RCBO's.

wishy said:
is this one not a Type B suitable for my CU.
32 Amp Wylex RCCBO 30mA Tripping Current
Takes up 1 module in the NH Range of Consumer Units
wyrcb1.jpg

Found it here
http://www.3kw.co.uk/mcb.html
It's a Type C - it's a bit naughty of that seller not to give you more info, but you can see that it tells you on the breaker, if you look at a bigger picture:
wyrcb.jpg

Sponsored Links
To be honest you could fit a Type B RCBO from one of the manufacturers that make them, they are all standard DIN rail mounting these days and fit each others boards in 90% of cases.

Simply compare the rear of the two units to make sure they are compatible.

Can I believe my ears? FWL, the "always match devices to the unit" man is now advocating mix and match....??

Shock, horror!!

:LOL:

securespark said:
Can I believe my ears? FWL, the "always match devices to the unit" man is now advocating mix and match....??

Shock, horror!!

:LOL:

Where-ever possible every effort should be made to use the manufacturers breakers in their board, but in this casae, as he has one of the owrst manufacturers ever to exist, there is little choice in order to get a Type B RCBO.

The other alternative is to change his board!!!

ban-all-sheds said:
Yeah - bet he wouldn't say the same if it were a Hager or M-G board...

You'd be right too...these are real manufacturers that make a complete range of devices for their board, not those they can have made cheap in China.

Personally, If I wrote the Regs, I would BAN Volex and Wylex, they are cheap and nasty Tat.

Cheers FWL, now I not only have to worry about the spaghetti of incorrect wiring lurking below the surface safety of my platered walls. Connecting my £1500 cooker to a 13 amp spur but you now make me aware that the 'competent well recommended' electricians which I got to do the work have me hooked up to the national grid through some 'made in Taiwan toy factory' W**k Wylex box, very reassuring :LOL:

Anyway, as Monty Python sang, '...always look on the bright side of life'

There are two red cores going into the shared upstairs and downstairs ring MCB, is this still BAD? The cooker cable is 4mm. I have put in a 16 amp MCB for the shed and followed all advice found in various posts by yourself and Ban on the correct procedure for the use of SWA, outside power, etc, and placed an RCD socket in the shed.

But I still can't understand how the bl**dy cooker hasn't blown the 13amp fuse in the spur, should it!!
:?:

Keep up the good advice, I'm hooked gud & propa.

P.S. Guess I should get shot of the Volex watch too then!!? :LOL:

i can't see any problem with a type C rcbo

the main reason for useing a B rather than a C is faster earth fault disconnect

but this is kind of irrelevent with a RCBO because of the rcd part

Just feel the need to remind Jim & others that "Made In Taiwan" Wylex is actually made in Wythenshawe, Manchester 22.

Well have finally got round to putting in MCB's. All seems well :eek: except;

Conservatory lighting has tripped the 6Amp MCB three times in the first week, but only when they are switched off, haven't tripped again since, 2 weeks later, I'm baffled.
The lights in the conservatory are "IKEA wire track effigies" with 5 20 amp halogen fittings. Running to the CU via their own transformer unit on a single 1.5mm cable. aprx. 12 m long. The transformer unit has a reset button but this has never popped out.

Cooker still working through 13 amp fused spur. How and why??? :?:

Thanks for all the advice. I would never have dreamed of even contemplating opening the CU box before.

Made in Manchester now theres a catch phrase with a ring to it!!

Have a look in your atlas for China & Taiwan.........

Hmm, Made in Manchester. So was I, allegedly.... :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back