Wylex compatible MCBs?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking to replace a couple of Wylex MCBs in my consumer unit - pic below. Does anyone know of an alternative, but equally safe, brand that would fit this unit? The Wylex ones seem very expensive. BTW, just by looking at this unit, would you say it's old and needs replacing?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
from memory, about 30 years old. It is probably working as well as it did when new, as long as the main switch and the breakers work correctly. It has a unique fit and will only accept breakers, and their matching shields, designed for it.

It does not have the facility for RCD protection which is now considered pretty well essential.

It is not suitable for heavy loads such as an electric shower or a range cooker.

When the case is opened, it has accessible live parts even when the main switch is turned off.

At that age, it is likely that the main bonds are smaller than is now considered necessary.

What makes you think it needs new parts?

Thanks - that's really good info!

It's a bit complicated but the lights circuit kept tripping, electrician came around and wasn't able to find the fault after pulling out a lot of the ceiling wiring. He then 'killed' the lighting circuit, I'm not sure how as only my wife was home at the time and she didn't ask. The MCB is still in the "on" position, so I'm assuming he removed a connection inside the unit. Another problem he identified was a crack in one of the MCBs for the cooker socket, that's the reason I'm trying to find a replacement. He said it was fine, but I thought I would replace it.

He also said the lighting circuit needs rewiring as he can't locate the fault. We live in an old victorian conversion flat, so there is no access to the ceiling from upstairs. Can a lighting circuit be rewired without removing the ceilings and without us having to move out because of the dust?

Sorry...i know it's not easy to answer these sort of questions from DIYer!!

Sponsored Links
If the electrician said that the mcb "is fine", I'm not sure why you're wishing to buy a replacement.

I would think if you're looking to spend anything on the electrics, you'd be better off upgrading your consumer unit as a starting point. Especially if it's likely you're going to have some wiring done, which is likely to need RCD protection.

I cannot see the picture, but take it that it is the Wylex Standard range, B+Q used to do a range that fits.
Not sure the brand, some may frown on using them whilst the wylex are still obtainable

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back