Wylex MCB

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I\\\'m an eager (some may say ignorant) novice trying to add two new MCBs to my exiting Wylex consumer unit for the purpose of accomodating new appliances in a kitchen. The existing MCBs are Wylex type 2. I have found various references to Type B and Type 16 but none for Type 2 and no pictures that look the same as my existing MCBs. Can the Type B & 16 be used in my consumer unit? Any advice would be welcome and I can supply photos if necessary. :?:

Sponsored Links
Fortha said:
I have found various references to Type B and Type 16 but none for Type 2 and no pictures that look the same as my existing MCBs. Can the Type B & 16 be used in my consumer unit? Any advice would be welcome and I can supply photos if necessary. :?:
There's no such thing as a Type 16.

What you've seen reference to is a 16A Type B.

What are the appliances?
What rating are they?
Do you know what size cables to use?
Why do you need/want two circuits?

Try putting a photo of the consumer unit here...

Here's mine - containing two new B16Amp MCB's in it - can you spot them?

fusemod1.jpg

then someone could probably identify it for you.

Sponsored Links
kai can i ask why it has two main switches and no rcd?

to the original powster we really need to see the actual breakers exposed to give you more info

This was originally installed by the builder in the Nineties, and is in a third floor maisonette, the left hand side is the economy seven supply, and the 32a ring main's RCD's are mounted elsewhere outside the consumer unit.

I think the Wylex MCB you require is the NB version as they have Type 2 on them and picture on Fuse Company website looks same as mine (I have same problem as need to add Cooker to spare slot in box).

http://www.thefusecompany.com/index.php

the Type B refers to the MCB's charicteristics, for domestic installations you will always use a type B (or Type 2 if your stuck in the past) :) other type's are for spacific jobs, IE motors on factories n stuff

getting an mcb to fit your board isnt hard, your best bet is to go to a electrical howlsalers and talk to them, it would be handy if you could take one of ur exeisting breakers along with you,

you can make other breakers fit your board but this is a bit of a bodge i have done it in the past but i am an electrician,

make sure you get the right breaker for the cable size

2.5 radial - 16Amp or 20amp MAX
2.5 Ring 32Amp (there must be 2 cables going into the breaker)
4mm radial- 32Amp

if you need any more info let me know.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back