Wylex MCBs

No, I am asking if I can ask my electrician to do the work and get paid (reasonably) by Electrum - or do I have to ring Electrum on that number and they send their own choice of electrician out to do the work.

It would appear that I can do the former (he can ring Electrum and sort out the details), which is good, as long as they pay enough for him to take it on. I have sent him an email detailing the problem and a copy of the recall notice. I have five 6A and two 16A breakers, presumably all affected. Although they're cheap, why would I want to pay myself when someone else will offer?

Sponsored Links
Why pay when Electrium will pay to do the work? I've rectified loads of these boards (a while back now) and my company got paid 'ansomely my love for doing it.
Quite. That's why I wrote:
However, if Electrium are prepared to pay for both parts and labour (at a sensible rate) ... !!
(albeit I omitted to type the words in red!)

Kind Regards, John

In a roundabout way, I was agreeing with you. ;)

Spoke with electrician. He is happy to fit, assuming Wylex are happy to pay (was worried that the recall was some while ago) and has asked me to check.

I called the number and just got an answerphone. I've left a message. Does anyone know if they are likely to get back to me and if they are still sorting out their mess?

On a second note I wanted a 32A MCB installing the spare way for the submain to the shed. Do they still produce MCBs for this board (see picture)? I was going to buy a new 32A MCB from toolstation and see if they look the same. If so, should I get 5 x 6A and 2 x 16A at the same time, keeping the receipt? Do Wylex send replacements under the recall or just reimburse on production of a receipt (plus the old MCBs)? If the latter I may as well get them while I'm there, as I'm going to have to get them swapped out whether or not Wylex agree to pay.

Sponsored Links
On a second note I wanted a 32A MCB installing the spare way for the submain to the shed. Do they still produce MCBs for this board (see picture)? I was going to buy a new 32A MCB from toolstation and see if they look the same. If so, should I get 5 x 6A and 2 x 16A at the same time, keeping the receipt? Do Wylex send replacements under the recall or just reimburse on production of a receipt (plus the old MCBs)? If the latter I may as well get them while I'm there, as I'm going to have to get them swapped out whether or not Wylex agree to pay.
I'm a little confused by your question since, if Wylex didn't still make these MCBs, you'd have a problem getting the 'recalled' 6A and 16A ones replaced, let alone adding a 32A one :) So, yes, they are available. Talk to your electrician about this, because he's the one who will have to liaise with Electrium to find out whether or not he has to provide the replacements, and he can then arrange to get a 32A one (either alone, or as well as the 'replacements') as well. They're pretty standard, so he may even have a 32A one 'in his van'.

Kind Regards, John

My electrician asked me. "With regards to Wylex you might find that the recall is not valid any more (ie they may not pay, as it's outside of the warranty period). Be worth checking and also to make sure we can still get a new 32 amp MCB, as the manufacturers like to change their designs regularly!"

I told him I'd get a 32a MCB and see if it looked the same as the ones I have. I'm happy to do the supplying. I've left a message with Wylex.

If Wylex refund purchase (rather than send replacements) I may as well get replacements for the 6 and 16s at the same time so he can fit the lot in one go. Is that how it works? He obviously doesn't have any, but he's a nice bloke and comes recommended so I'd like to use him.

My electrician asked me. "With regards to Wylex you might find that the recall is not valid any more (ie they may not pay, as it's outside of the warranty period). Be worth checking and also to make sure we can still get a new 32 amp MCB, as the manufacturers like to change their designs regularly!"
As your electrician really should know (since Wylex CUs are so common), the current 'NHX' range of Wylex MCBs (all ratings - 6A to 50A) are 'direct replacements' for the NSB ones like you have.

I can't see how the recall can 'expire'. It's to do with safety issues, not warranties. If their products were potentially dangerous when the recall was first announced, they are certainly still at least as potentially dangerous now. Indeed, if (in different circumstances) suitable replacement MCBs were not available, they'd probably have to pay to have your whole CU replaced.

Kind Regards, John

Thanks, hopefully Wylex will be in touch.

Can anyone who's been involved tell me how they sort it out? Do they reimburse the cost of replacements or do they send replacements out prior to installation?

RecallAdvertWeb.jpg

different number to call and a form to fill in

http://www.mcbexchange.co.uk/electrium/

[/img]

Both numbers end up at the same answer phone :)

Have filled in the online form.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back