Wylex MCBs

syl

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I having an electrical supply fitted to 3 outbuildings. I'm naturally inquisitive and have been reading up a lot on various places including here (I've read over 100 pages worth of threads, well, the interesting ones). I'm aware that I don't have the necessary test equipment and that's why I've had an electrician round to go over the design and he will be connecting it all up (I am supplying some of the stuff and running the wiring, including 60m underground). Works out easier for me to do it this way as I can run it piecemeal to each building as they are built then he can test / make it all live once it's finally ready.

Anyway, in amongst my reading, I came upon something else that might be of interest to me. The house I am in was extended (virtually rebuilt) before I bought it. It has a Wylex CU and the "last test date" on a sticker on it says October 2009. I assume that is when it was installed, though it could have been done over a period of time and that may be when it was finally completed. I believe some Wylex MCBs were recalled and my board has some of the affected sizes present. Is there a way to know whether they are indeed affected or whether they could have been replaced already? Will my electrician be able to tell? Will Wylex pay for him to replace them?

The outbuildings won't be getting Wylex boards in.

Sponsored Links
I posted this in Electrical Safety and it contains the codes you need to look for:

MODS: WOULD IT MAKE SENSE TO MOVE THIS TO THE TOP OF THIS STICKY?

ELECTRIUM MCB RECALL NOTICE FOR THE ATTENTION OF ALL QUALIFIED ELECTRICIANS:

IN CASE ANY ELECTRICIAN OR CUSTOMER HAS SLIPPED THROUGH THE NET:

RecallAdvertWebII.jpg

6A MCB and 10A MCB codes:

RIRA, RERA, RTRA, RARA, RCRA, SRRA, RHRA, SSRA, RGRA.

16A MCB codes:

RIRA, RERA, RTRA, RARA, RCRA, SRRA, RHRA, RGRA.

Please note, these codes represent the last four characters of the code printed on the side of the MCB.

As far as I know, these codes apply to all Electrium breakers, ie not just the Wylex ones, but Crabtree and Volex too.

16A MCB codes:

Please note, these codes represent the last four characters of the code printed on the side of the MCB.

As far as I know, these codes apply to all Electrium breakers, ie not just the Wylex ones, but Crabtree and Volex too.

Thanks. I definitely have some 6/16 breakers and those codes look like the info I need. Guess I'll have to open the CU and might have to take them out to get a look at the side of them.

Sponsored Links

16A MCB codes:

I presume the "side" of the MCB is not visible when the MCB is installed in the consumer unit, so you would have to remove it to check.

That's what I thought too, as it's not obvious from the front and most of them are sandwiched between others.

Will let you know when I get chance to look during daylight hours, so I can see with the power off - don't want to do it by torchlight alone and would rather turn it off before opening it (there is an isolator switch on the cutout).

Heck, yes.

Don't open the board live!

No, sorry.

I was highlighting the fact that the codes mentioned are only the last 4 characters of the code on the MCB.

So, when you see the MCB, it'll have more than 4 char's printed on it. You're looking specifically at the last 4.

OK Here is the board:

And here is the side of one of the 6A MCB's:

So, RHRA - looks like I need them replaced. Should I phone the number on the recall and let them deal with it, or should I contact my electrician and have him deal with it? I'd rather use an electrician I chose if they'll allow that.

So, RHRA - looks like I need them replaced. Should I phone the number on the recall and let them deal with it, or should I contact my electrician and have him deal with it? I'd rather use an electrician I chose if they'll allow that.

Please read the next to last paragraph on the recall notice. You need to find a competent electrician and he will sort it out directly with Electrium.
They will not deal with you re this.

I was under the impression I might phone them and they might send out their own (sub-contracted) electrician to do the work. I'd rather engage my own. Although it looks no more difficult than wiring a plug, I'm not intending to do it myself.

Do Wylex pay the electrician reasonably - I assume they have already fixed a fee ie. is my electrician likely to be interested in the work? I'll send him an email, hopefully he will have done some before and a will know about it.

I was under the impression I might phone them and they might send out their own (sub-contraced) electrician to do the work. I'd rather engage my own. Although it looks no more difficult than wiring a plug, I'm not intending to do it myself. Do Wylex pay the electrician reasonably - I assume they have already fixed a fee ie. is my electrician likely to be interested in the work? I'll send him an email, hopefully he will have done some before and a will know about it.
Are you saying that you'd prefer to have your own electrician do it, at your cost, maybe without involving Electrium at all? If so, although I can't really see from your photo exactly how many B6/B16 ones are involved, at only £2.50 each, the materials cost would not be very high. However, if Electrium are prepared for both parts and labour (at a sensible rate) ... !!

Kind Regards, John

Why pay when Electrium will pay to do the work?

I've rectified loads of these boards (a while back now) and my company got paid 'ansomely my love for doing it.

Why pay when Electrium will pay to do the work? I've rectified loads of these boards (a while back now) and my company got paid 'ansomely my love for doing it.
Quite. That's why I wrote:
However, if Electrium are prepared to pay for both parts and labour (at a sensible rate) ... !!
(albeit I omitted to type the words in red!)

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back