Wylex nb40

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i am fitting a new shower and have been looking to replace spare nb20 for an nb 40 mbc but cant get any anywhere the nb 20 that i am replacing has type 2 on it but will a type 1 fit
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Type 1 is ok for a resistive heating load...

... are you sure you are competant to do this work?

i am fitting a new shower and have been looking to replace spare nb20 for an nb 40 mbc but cant get any anywhere the nb 20 that i am replacing has type 2 on it but will a type 1 fit
Thanks

More information is required to be able to give you sound advice.

Where are you in the UK as if you are in England or Wales there building Regulations covering this sort of work

Are you installing a shower from scratch or replacing and existing one?

Although not required by existing regulations fitting an RCD is good practise and is also recommended by most shower manufacturers.

Back to basics please.

What size is the new shower? That determines what MCB size you have - you can't just swop a 20A for 40A. What size is the existing cable? How long is the cable? How is it routed? Through any insulation? With any others? Can your CU take such an increase? Is the shower circuit RCD protected?. Only then do you sort out your cable size.

Type 1,2,3 is an older method of rating the time/current characteristics of MCB's. Nowadays they are Type A, B, C, D. Depending on the make of the CU and MCB you might find a new A, B, C, D type will not fit.

Sponsored Links
The range of board you need it for is a Wylex nn, if you do a google for "Wylex nn" you may find what you are looking for.
The work you are looking to do is notifiable to your LABC under part p of the building regs if you live in England or Wales. For your own safety it is important that the work is done correctly, it may be a good idea to have an electrician do the work for you.

9.5kw shower, 20ft from fuse box, 10mm cable run through uninsulated floor boards with dp switch, it is a new install i am not replacing 20amp with 40 the 20 amp is unused leaving a blank space for new 40amp recommended by triton con unit has 30ma rcd currently fitted and i live in scotland (gods country) hope this helps

The Wylex NB range is an old range, but still available in limited stocks.

A CEF Proteus Mcb 640/2 (40A Type 2) is a direct replacement for the NB and cheaper.

Hope this helps.

thanks for your help managed to find 1 2nd hand but works fine

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back