WYLEX TRADITIONAL REWIREABLE FUSEBOX.

Sponsored Links
I didn't think old pearl lamps caused fuse wire to blow. I have never known it.

It's only an issue for B6 MCB's

I find that a lot of everyday users have already clocked onto that, either that they got sick of having to go and find fusewire ... I'm too young to have had to do it, but glad I never had to rewire a fuse in the dark!
I'm plenty old enough, but soon decided that the sensible course was to keep a spare, already wired, 5A fuse on top of the CU!

Kind Regards, John

You haven't lived :) [the difference between clear and pearl was obviously irrelevant]. Particularly when lighting circuits were heavily loaded with incandescent bulbs/lamps, it was pretty common for one of them dying to take out a B6 MCB - at least, IME.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
You haven't lived :) [the difference between clear and pearl was obviously irrelevant]. Particularly when lighting circuits were heavily loaded with incandescent bulbs/lamps, it was pretty common for one of them dying to take out a B6 MCB - at least, IME.

Kind Regards, John

Agreed with mcb's , but as andy says, I have never known them too take fuses out.

Agreed with mcb's , but as andy says, I have never known them too take fuses out.
Oh, I misread what Andy wrote :oops:. Yes, I agree with you both that dying lamps 'never' (at least, IME) blew a fuse. That makes sense, and I wouldn't expect a dying lamp to ever trip the thermal part of an MCB (which is roughly equivalent to a fuse), either, since the very high current that can flow during the death throes of an incandescent bulb/lamp is of such very short duration. However, those large currents clearly do often flow for long enough to trip the magnetic part of an MCB.

Kind Regards, John

Even though they had 2 screws, the screws were quite small compared with the big one screw on the newer boards.

Im sure, early versions had two neutral screws as well.
The heads on the neutral ones often snapped off IME.

I do recall a few times the back bit of the fuse base burning out a few times, but you could unscrew it and replace it easy

Even though they had 2 screws, the screws were quite small compared with the big one screw on the newer boards.
That's true, but the screws appeared to be quite adequate (no smaller than those used in many of the accessories connected to the final circuits concerned) and the redundancy of having two clearly reduced the chances of problems due to 'loose connections'.
Im sure, early versions had two neutral screws as well.
IIRC, all the one's I've dealt with had dual neutral screws (in a really solid 'neutral block').
The heads on the neutral ones often snapped off IME.
I don't recall having personally experienced that - at least, to any significant extent.

Overall, I would personally say that they were 'beautiful' bits of engineering, particularly in comparison with what followed!

Kind Regards, John

and the redundancy of having two clearly reduced the chances of problems due to 'loose connections'.

Is it me or should that be "increased" :)

Edit
Redundancy
2. Something redundant or excessive; a superfluity.
My apoligies

Last edited:
and the redundancy of having two clearly reduced the chances of problems due to 'loose connections'.
Is it me or should that be "increased" :)
I think it's essentially 'you' :) What I meant was that having dual screws "reduced the chances of problems of 'loose connections' ".
Edit. ... Redundancy ... 2. Something redundant or excessive; a superfluity. My apologies
That is not quite the sense in which the word "redundancy" is used in engineering and related contexts. Yes, "excessive and superfluous" under normal (fault-free) service conditions but providing valuable "belt and braces" protection in the presence of faults. I doubt that you would regard it as "superfluous" to have 'redundancy" of flight control systems and instrumentation in an aircraft you were about to board :)

Kind Regards, John

I have the gubbins of an old 60A 604 right in front of me and it has 6 neutral ways.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back