WYLEX WSES 80/2 RCD

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've got 2 trips on two separate circuits in the house (don't ask why!) One is working fine, but the other (an old Wylex WSES 80/2, which is integral with our main consumer unit trips out from time to time.

This definitely coincides with our supplier sending quite hefty spikes down the line and increasing and decreasing the supply (this is quite visible with light intensity going up and down maybe 20 or 30 times a day, but the supplier says it's all in spec!). This is happening a lot at the moment which sems to be causing the Wylex to keep tripping (maybe several times a day). But the other RCD can take these trips and never trips. The fact that we can go months without this happening leads me to believe that we don't actually have a current leakage problem in the house - not that I would know where to start looking for it!

My question is - could the Wylex WSES 80/2 just be getting old and, basically, too sensitive and if I can find a second-hand replacement, might that cure the problem.

I'm tempted to replace the RCD with a Wylex 810X switch as there is no direct replacement for this trip any longer. Replacing the whole consumer unit does not seem like an appealing options.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
If you have 2 identical RCDs, and you think one is faulty, swap them.

That is, if you can safely isolate the supply to them.

This will tell you if one is faulty.

Thanks for the reply, Steve, but the RCDs are far from identical. The one that works feeds an external garage and that never trips. The Wylex feeds the house (it's part of the house consumer unit) and it's not easy to get hold of a replacement.

This Wylex RCD used to be fine but now it trips in response to fluctuations in the supply (whereas the much newer one doesn't). The supply company says its spikes are within spec - that cannot be true but the fact that the other RCD stands firm means it's hard to argue the case.

The problem is that I still don't know whether this old Wylex has, over time, become too sensitive and therefore whether it's worth trying to source a replacement or whether I should replace it with a switch (the 810X) which can still be bought and which fits the consmer unit and which will defintely fix the problem. But then we'll have no leakage protection.

Replacing the whole consumer unit seems OTT.

Try Here £14

I didn't realise you had 2 different RCDs - must read the post next time :LOL:

What does the faulty RCD supply?

What type of earth supply do you have?

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
Steve,

Your help is much appreciated and thanks for locating a second-hand WSES 80/2!

We could have a leakage problem in the house, but our routine for using electrical equipment is pretty much the same day in, day out and we can go for months without the wretched thing tripping. Then, all of a sudden (and, as mentioned, coinciding with mammoth spikes coming down the line), off it goes maybe several times a day - then it's fine for a few days, then off it goes again.

The other rcd never blinks, but it's a different make and 40 mA, rather than 30mA.

So I guess my only remaining question is do these RCDs wear out over time - ie do they become too sensitive and trip too easily when they get older?

Cheers

I have a 100mA Wylex WSEM 63/2 you can have for a tenner plus postage, note that it is only rated for a 63A load rather than the 80A your old one is. 100mA is usually considered more suitable as a "main switch" than 30mA. It is not time-dalayed.

If you want it I will connect it up and test it before despatch

View media item 1641

might be worth getting a PIR done if you haven't, could be the wiring not the RCD

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back