X800 or not worth it?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

The central heating in my home is a vented system about 35 years old with a Potterton profile boiler which is about 17 years old. I have a magnaclean installed and its done a good job as the system water is clear if slightly yellowish. It is also filled with a couple of bottles of fernox f1.

My question is I have to drain down the system to replace the magnaclean as its started leaking from a crack in the plastic bowl, would it be worth putting in some sentinel x800 or x400 and running the system for a few days before flushing and refilling with f1 ready for winter?
Theres not really any problem with the system only a bit of 'hissing' from the boiler when it is fired, or am I asking for trouble?!

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
an old system always benefits from a mild clean, and these non-acidic chemicals won't do any harm.

as you already have a filter, it will trap whatever the chemical loosens, so you will see the results quickly. It is preferable to do it in winter when you will be circulating round the radiators as well, but in your case you can open the radiators (preferably one at a time for half an hour or so) to speed up the cleaning. You can then let the pump run it round with the boiler stat turned down to save gas.

If you thought the system was pretty clean and didn't need draining you could use X900 which loosens dirt so the filter can trap it, and is left in permanently

On final refill after draining out the dirt and rinsing, I would add X200 as well, because it will slowly erode any limescale in the boiler and make it quieter. You don't drain it out, you leave it in permanently. It is not an aggressive acid cleaner like older descalers. This is better added in summer, after you have filled the radiators and turned them off, so that it initially circulates only through the boiler, and will be more concentrated so work faster. To draw it down from the F&E, you will have to drain a bucket of water out of the drain cock.

As we are talking about Sentinel chemicals here, I would also use X100 as your new corrosion inhibitor, so you will know they are all compatible.

You presumably have a feed and expansion tank in the loft. Bale it out and sponge it clean before doing anything else, you don't want to be washing the mud out of that down into the system. Make sure it has a close-fitting plastic lid and an insulating jacket. When you have drained down, wipe the inside of the F&E, and the lid and float, with bleach to discourage bacteria and fungus.

Wow thank you so much!! This is really brilliant advice and much appreciated.

I was worried I would do more damage then good as I didn't know how mild the cleaners are and had visions of water leaking out of pin holes created by the cleaner!

I wasn't even aware x900 existed.

Thank you once again!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back