Xpelair dx100 extractor fan wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,I'm wanting to know if I can wire my xpelair extractor fan straight to my light in the bathroom and how to do it so it comes on with the light when I turn it on.im going through the wall with it.the fan has a live n neutral that's it no earth so any help would be gratefully.

Sponsored Links
Is it a timed overrun ex-fan? This would determined whether you can use t&e or whether you need three core and earth I would suggest that us put in a three core in anyway then it is there if you ever wanted one with timer on.
Do you have RCD protection for this circuit? This will be required for the location
Do you know the permitted safe zones that cables can be routed? The routing of cables must comply to regulations
Is the Ex-fan suitable for the location it is to be installed? You would want a fan that can deal with the size of room and extent of moisture it is required to move and the positioning must comply with the IP rating

Also look here
//www.diynot.com/wiki/Electrics:fan

Well, a timer fan is more normal, IMO.

Anyway…… You need to run live, neutral and earth to the fan from the light.

Yes, I know the fan does not require an earth, but the cable does.

Sponsored Links
It doesn't connect to the fan. You run it into the fan and terminate it in a bit of "choc" terminal block.
It's needed to protect the cable (Google cpc) and so you can do the EFLI test once you have installed everything. You'll need an earth for that, of course!

Do the manufacturers instruction state isolation and down fusing to 3A? If so you must follow those instructions!

I did ask some question which some/most are unanswered, so have you 30mA RCD protection?
Are cables routed within the permitted safe routes?
Is the fan suitable for purpose?
Is it being installed in a permitted bathroom zone?
If so which zone? as this could require building regulation notification!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back