Y Plan - room thermo doesn't fire boiler

The grey wire that is connected to the blue wire from the tank stat is always live as long as the HW is on at the programmer, even when the stats are down to min.

It isn't wired correctly then, if you meant exactly what you said.
Here's where the grey wire should be at 0v, : HW on at programmer but satisfied at cyl stat.
yplan_dhw.gif

Sponsored Links
ChrisR said:
The grey wire that is connected to the blue wire from the tank stat is always live as long as the HW is on at the programmer, even when the stats are down to min.

Here's where the grey wire should be at 0v, : HW on at programmer but satisfied at cyl stat.
yplan_dhw.gif

dont honeywell cyl stats not have a neutral and the comman (1) is live when prog calls??

and chris he wont waste his money

No honeywell cyl stats don't have a neutral.
Yes the common is live when programmer HW is ON, but the grey wire wouldn't be at 240.

I expect you're right, that it IS a faulty valve and the poster is incorrect in his observations about the grey wire always being live, but since he said it, I thought it worth picking up.
Fully admit I've come across more different types of fault in hwell heads than I understand, but it has to be worth checking the wiring.

Sponsored Links
yplan_dhw.gif

Isn't the cyl stat calling for HW on this diagram and not satisfied as stated?

Confused now! Found this though and it describes the process where it could be going wrong. :confused:

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8369

The 2nd post from CH4 that describes
As the valve moves further across, it toggles the second micro-switch. Thereby, restoring power to the pump/boiler:

This could be where it is at fault as the system works with all the other scenarios, it would seem that the second micro switch is not restoring power to the pump/boiler.

Doc Lenny said:
[Isn't the cyl stat calling for HW on this diagram and not satisfied as stated?
You're right. It's rare that anyone spots an error in a ChrisR posting. Congrats. :LOL:

Just an update.

As you guys thought it was the actuator that was at fault. The fact that the orange wire from the valve was not going live when CH was called for was all the evidence I needed - pointing to a problem with the second micro switch.

£25 and we are all done - thanks to all who helped! :D :D :D :D

Edit: Thanks to MANDATE also he was right on the button!

Errr wot am I scotch mist??

twas I that said change the bloody thing ages ago mandate agreed with me

sheesh

I am ahead of my time

corgiman, thanks for your input also, it was you that convinced me that it was the valve - but as always I had to understand exactly why and that's where all the other input helped.

Again thanks to all who input - toasty tonight. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back