Yale premium 6400

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all....

On a complete impulse I have just bought a Yale Premium 6400 (dont hate me) and before I break it open I have a couple of queries.

In addition to the house (four bed semi) I want to protect a garden office building which is approx 18m from the rear of the house. I can get the control box and power and phone line to within about 20m (and two external block walls and x1 stud wall) from the garden building... should this be sufficient range wise ?

The garden building has two rooms, can I put one of the contacts on the door of one and the PIR in the other, or does the system need both ?

Do you think I would I be better off getting a basic Yale package alarm for the garden building (sacrificing the dialling out to my mobile) and mounting the sounding box on the rear wall of the house ?

Do I need x3 additional wireless keypads:
1. for inside the front door (main exit point)
2. for inside the garden building
3. for upstairs to control part sets of downstairs etc

I want to get additional external and internal sounders (and switch the one on the control panel off) are these available for the Yale ?

Am I better off getting another package if I need another x6 PIRs and a few keypads and door contacts....

And lastly... Anyone know if I can squeeze the innards of a Yale bell box into a dummy ADT box ???

It all looks so simple when youre standing in screwfix looking at the box :))))

Sponsored Links
1- You should have no problem with the range but until you test you wont know for sure. I have tested devices to 125m in open range outside and have fitted to outbuildings without problems. The issue is not so much the distance but what the signal has to get past. 2 x block walls and a stud wall does not sound difficult at all.

2.You can split up your devices however you wish. With 2 separate rooms though if they both have window access I would suggest a pir in each.

3. No need to get a separate system as long as you plan how it will work.

Remember if you have a single system when you unset the home alarm then your outbuilding will be unprotected and vica verca. If you turn off the alarm so you can work in the outbuilding then your home will be unprotected.

There are ways to work around this using the home omit function.

For example program all the house devices as normal but all the outbuilding devices as home omit. This would enable you to work in the outbuilding when the system is part and your home would still be protected. You would then full set on an evening when at home going to bed or leaving your property meaning all the property was protected.

The only loophole this would leave would be your outbuilding when you are in the home and the alarm is not set however you could protect this situation by getting another yale siren and setting this up as a master device with your outbuilding sensors linked to it. (they can be linked to both systems at the same time).

This means you would still get a telephone call from your 6400 system if your home or outbuildings were accessed while you were away or that you would get a siren notification that the outbuilding had been entered while you are at home even with the home alarm unset.

You could do all this by buying a 6200 to go with your 6400 you would then only be short of 2 x pirs which you can get at homebase.

To work the system you would use you home keypad to set the alarm full set (bedtime-leaving home) or part set when you want to work in the outbuilding. In addition you would have a keypad at the outbuilding to set and unset the external linked siren in master mode.

Well all the above makes sense to me anyway :)

Too embarrassed to fit the Yale then. Love it.[/quote]

Ummmm..... Yes.

Want visible ADT protection (dummy boxes already in place) but can only afford a Yale system :)

Sponsored Links
I guess if I could afford the £30 or so a month, I would have an ADT system, however the Yale is a reputable brand, I have had two in the past and have just moved house and bought a Yale again, I have also had a wired system installed by a professional company, but after moving I chose the Yale, which I now have my garden shed, and caravan covered as well as the house, something in which a wired system would cost ££££ plus the problem with the caravan, the Yale brand has never failed me, and in my opinion is just as good and effective as a wired system, I joined this forum for advise and help on fitting the Yale and am gratefull for that, which is what I believe this forum is for, and I cannot understand the snide remarks of some people on here, regarding the wireless systems, there are pros n cons to both, and as technology moves on, I am certain wireless will be the future and wired left to the steam age,

We always get a few manic posters on Yale threads, filled with bile and unreasoning hostility.

They tend to talk a lot of nonsense, like maybe one day there will be an interfering signal that prevents you alarm picking up a sensor, at the exact moment that a burglar breaks into your house. The chances are so infinitesimal that I have never found an anti-Yaleite willing to estimate the probability. Of course, if you live in an arc-welding workshop, or your house is built under a BBC tranmsmitter aerial, it might cause problems.

Too embarrassed to fit the Yale then. Love it.

Ummmm..... Yes.

Want visible ADT protection (dummy boxes already in place) but can only afford a Yale system :)

ADT usually only fit dummy boxes so you are ahead of the game with working sirens.

As for putting your Yale siren inside an ADT box.
Not sure as most ADT boxes fix with a central bolt.

However I am pretty sure I would have the practical skills to make it work. There is nothing stopping it from fitting inside and still working. You would just need towork out the practicalities.

I would suggest taking off the yale siren cover and piggybacking the ADT cover onto it by using self tapping screws from the inside of the Yale siren cover into the ADT cover. You will possibly even just be able to bolt it through the middle by drilling a hole and shortening the ADT bolt and adding a nut. You will just have to dril a small hole in the side of the ADT cover to allow you to reach the Yale siren covers fastening screw.

We always get a few manic posters on Yale threads, filled with bile and unreasoning hostility.
They tend to talk a lot of nonsense, like maybe one day there will be an interfering signal that prevents you alarm picking up a sensor,

We ( at least I do ) talk based on my 12 years experience of designing systems that, because one or more items are mobile, have to use wireless communications.

Yale Web Site said:
868MHz Technology Explained

The Easy Fit Alarm uses a frequency that is more tightly controlled than many other DIY systems. In simple terms this means a clearer channel with less interference.

The 868MHz frequency has a short duty cycle of 1% as defined by regulation, meaning that any one can only transmit for 1% of time, leaving the channel 99% of the time free of transmission. This means that where there are multiple devices operating, they are less likely to collide resulting in a higher performance. Other devices that operate on a higher cycle are far more likely to collide and result in interference.
Less likely than what, are they comparing to alarm systems on 433 MHz which have 10% max transmit time ? And not all imported equipment on sale complies with the regulations for licence exempt short range radio devices, with one of those next door anything using that channel will be compromised.

Also on their website Yale suggest turning of the jamming detection function if the siren operates for no apparent reason. That is the same as turning off tamper. If the system is blocked the owner won't know and the system will not be able to sound the alarm if there is a break in.

The chances are so infinitesimal that I have never found an anti-Yaleite willing to estimate the probability.
You have been repeated told that the probility depends on what other licence exempt wireless equipment is in use in the area around the protected house.

Of course, if you live in an arc-welding workshop, or your house is built under a BBC tranmsmitter aerial, it might cause problems.
as do baby monitors on 433.92 MHz. At least you admit that the system can be affected by signals from sources other than the sensors.

The chances are so infinitesimal that I have never found an anti-Yaleite willing to estimate the probability.
You have been repeated told that the probility depends on what other licence exempt wireless equipment is in use in the area around the protected house.
And I have repeatedly told you you try to estimate the chances in a typical domestic house in a typical residential street with a typical wireless alarm. Which you won't. You like to give fanciful examples of abnormal conditions.

I have experience of a Yale system in an ordinary house beside other ordinary houses, with the ordinary amount of baby monitors, cordless doorbells, WiFi hubs and car lock blippers. At no time has the Entry sensor on the front door failed to chime, or to start the Entry Countdown when Home or Away armed, and the jamming detector has never detected jamming signals, so in my experience, I have observed zero interference to date.

The chance of a jamming signal occurring at the same fraction of a second that a burglar breaks into your house is a million times less.

Found that mention about turning off the jamming detection on a Yale document posted on http://www.fastalarms.co.uk/HSA3095.pdf on page 12

EDIT for some reason part of that address is changed to ** when posted

Try this one http://www.yale.co.uk/Yale/Yale_co_uk/Literature/HSA3095 kit 5_final.pdf

Radio jamming

This control unit and siren are equipped with the
latest type of radio receiver using AM radio
technology. If interference detection is set to ÔonÕ in
the siren, when the system is armed, any criminal
attempt to prevent (or jam) the detector
transmissions will be picked up as interference and
will cause the siren to alarm. The control unit can be
set to display and report (by dialling out, not
sounding alarm) when interference is detected.
If the alarm is frequently triggered by interference
there may be high levels of unusual radio signals in
your area. Some kinds of electronic equipment can
generate this kind of radio interference.
In the unlikely event of you experiencing problems
with interference, it is recommended that you switch
jamming detection off.
Please telephone our helpline if you require any
further assistance.

We've already covered that.

Of course, if you live in an arc-welding workshop, or your house is built under a BBC transmitter aerial, it might cause problems.

we haven't heard any evidence of jamming in a typical domestic house in a typical residential street

They tend to talk a lot of nonsense, like maybe one day there will be an interfering signal that prevents you alarm picking up a sensor,

We ( at least I do ) talk based on my 12 years experience of designing systems that, because one or more items are mobile, have to use wireless communications.

But these are NOT mobile and my 4 years working with these EXACT systems probably trumps your experience of them specifically.

So shall we pass on your repetative trolling?

mdf290";p="2594500 said:
ADT usually only fit dummy boxes so you are ahead of the game with working sirens.
Don't talk such rubbish. Ok, so they do fit dummy boxes on their small domestic systems, you think they take up the majority of their installations, didn't realise you were so daft.

"In the nicest possible way"

Quote, from the late Kenny Everett

Europlex";p="2594765 said:
Don't talk such rubbish. Ok, so they do fit dummy boxes on their small domestic systems, you think they take up the majority of their installations, didn't realise you were so daft.

"In the nicest possible way"

Quote, from the late Kenny Everett

But this IS a small domestic and Yes business owners wouldn't be stupid enough to listen to someone telling them they only needed a dummy box....your point was?

But these are NOT mobile
so why use wireless ?

and my 4 years working with these EXACT systems probably trumps your experience of them specifically.
You have admitted that there are some aspects of the system that you do not fully understand. ( as mdf290 and yaleguy ).

No matter how much experience you have of this system or any other system the facts are that the regulations for licence exempt short range radio devices and the need for long battery life DO compromise the functionality of ALL wireless linked systems compared to hard wired systems.

So shall we pass on your repetative trolling?
if you were more publically open to the dis-advantages of the one way wireless systems you advocate there would be no need to point out the dis-advantages you ignore to people who have or are contemplating installing such a system.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back