Yellow flames on hob

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So after seeing yellow flames on my hob I contacted a local gas safe company who coincidentally have quoted for a new boiler which I'm considering. They said they'd send someone out. Luckily I asked if the person is gas safe and their response was oh if you want a gas safe fitter I'll have to send someone else.

I thought it was illegal to work on gas appliances (including presumably, checking them?) In the UK? It's made me question whether I'd trust this company with fitting a boiler.

It seems mad to me that they'd send someone not gas safe to inspect a potentially dangerous appliance.

Thanks

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I thought it was illegal to work on gas appliances (including presumably, checking them?) In the UK?
Correct.
It's made me question whether I'd trust this company with fitting a boiler.
I wouldn’t trust them, and report to gas safe as a concern.
It seems mad to me that they'd send someone not gas safe to inspect a potentially dangerous appliance.
What did they say about the appliance in question?

Thanks for confirming.

I've cancelled them, after quite an aggressive follow up call from the owner of the local family run business.

So now i'm on the lookout for a new boiler quote and gas safety inspection.

Fun times.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Sponsored Links
Yes i definitely need a new boiler. Mines ancient, plus I am doing work where the tanks etc are. I was settled on a vitodens 100 or 222-f and they are an accredited installer, of which there are not many around here.

• Thanks
I thought it was illegal to work on gas appliances (including presumably, checking them?) In the UK? It's made me question whether I'd trust this company with fitting a boiler.

It might be something as simple as the flame spreader on top of the burner, which needs cleaning, or has become dislodged. Some simply drop into place and you could check that yourself.

Thanks Harry. I'm familiar with the spreader and have seen what happens when it's not on properly. These yellow flames happen periodically and the tips are yellow all the way around the flame on the largest burner and it affects all the burners at the same time. I'm concerned it's either the pressure regulator in the hob, or the incoming meter. I'm going to get a gas safety check anyway.

Tbh the more I think about this I'm thinking maybe I should report this firm. They knew this was a gas hob and were going to send someone who was not qualified. The owner called me back and was annoyed that I had called them out for it being illegal to inspect gas appliances without gas safe cert. Must have touched a nerve.

I called BG out the first time that happened on ours. He checked every thing thoroughly & found no fault. He suggested there may have been work going on in the supply network that had allowed air into the system somewhere. It still happens on occasions for a short period but always clesrs so I assume he was correct. Don't know if this is your problem or not but as I said I called BG and they did not change for this service.

It is illegal to work on any gas appliance without being gas registered.

However, it is not illegal for anyone to just look at one.

I could understand if a firm sent a general employee to have a look and perhaps take a video and then return to the firm and discuss his findimgs with the gas registered person to decide what is needed to be done.

A lot of calls are from people who have just not cleaned the burner caps for example.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back