Yet another electric shower question.. Flow rate.. Extremely hot

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I have a Tristan Joy 8.5 kW electric shower.

Cold tap flow rate 12 litres/min.. So mains feed absolutely fine
Shower flow rate 4.2 litres/min (with heater fully off)

When I set the shower to normal heat (setting 2) then even on fully cold, it heats to 55+ degrees, IE completely scaling, then shuts off. This is with the shower head removed, so is not a clogged head. Even "Eco" that used to be circa 35 degrees heats to 48+

I've taken the filter out of the shower and de-limescaled it thoroughly, it looked clear to be fair, either way made no difference ...

Given that 4.2 litres/a min is the pressure out of the bottom of the shower, so through the unit, but with the heater fully off - Is the shower just shagged? Or could it be something else...

I was contemplating ordering a slightly more powerful shower. It has an isolated power supply, how do I tell what it's rated to? I'd like to get a 10.5 kW unit..

And on that, any recommendations on which unit to go for?

If I've missed any info please let me know and i'll try to respond! Thanks in advance ...

Dave

Sponsored Links
Temperature adjustment on electric showers is just altering the flow rate, less flow = hotter water.
Therefore it's likely to be partially blocked inside, probably scale inside the heater can.
Only other possibility is the water feed to the shower is restricted in some way.

A 10.5kW shower is likely to require new cable installing.

Thanks for the quick reply!

OK, Given the thing costs about 80 quid, do you think it's worth trying to get that serviced? Or just get a plumber to fit a new one .... I suppose the same brand is a good idea given I know the pipe work positioning is right for it, but I think it's fairly crap... Expect the same thing to happen again with a new one sooner or later ...

Thanks
Dave

Sponsored Links
I suppose the same brand is a good idea given I know the pipe work positioning is right for it, but I think it's fairly crap
Same as all electric showers.
In hard water areas they all fail due to limescale after a few years. It's an inevitable consequence of heating hard water.
The only real choices are buy cheap ones and replace the whole thing, or pay £400 for a Mira and be able to replace individual parts as required.
I would suggest the cheap and replace the whole thing. You get a new hose, shower head and rail as well.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back