Yet another loft question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our loft is floored and has a stair way going up. It's been used for storage thus far as we believed it would not conform to building regs due to the head clearance height.

Head clearance going up the stairs is 1.93m at the lowest level, but then it hits a landing area under the eaves which is 2m right at the corner as you go round, but obviously, you are under the roof so it slopes off.

Head clearance in the loft itself is 1.95m floor to rafter.

The flooring/ceiling joists are old wooden joists and measure 7inch by 3inch (18cm 8cm).

There is also a large velux window (new to replace the old one that was cracked, was cheaper to replace the full thing than replace the glass) which is... I forget but it conforms to the escape route policy (we figured since we were replacing it anyway may as well).

The stairway is situated in what used to be part of a bedroom. So, we have a doorway (door has been taken off but could easily be replaced), to the left is the stairs and then other side of the stairs is a bedroom door.

So.... how hard would it be to get it to conform to building regs? Would the stair case be ok or would it fail due to the landing area under the eaves?

And would we need new joists or some sort of support joists?

(its a 2 bedroom mid terrace if that helps)

Sponsored Links
It's a little difficult to give an opinion over the internet without physically looking at what exists. Your best bet would be to employ an architect and have them look it over.

However, from what you're describing, I'll run through a few things...

Head clearance going up the stairs is 1.93m at the lowest level, but then it hits a landing area under the eaves which is 2m right at the corner as you go round, but obviously, you are under the roof so it slopes off.

Head clearance in the loft itself is 1.95m floor to rafter.

The only rules/regulations governing headroom is that on the staircase. You are meant to achieve 2m above the pitch line of the stairs. This however can be reduced to 1.9m at the edge.

As for actual headroom in the loft area itself. What will this room be used for? What will be up there... any partitions/doors? You may struggle to get a full height door (and frame) in a loft with headroom of 1.95m. And if you were to use this space as a shower room or similar, again, you'd be struggling as you need approx. 2m to be able to get a shower in. A wardrobe is approx. 1.8m high and so is a person so "actual" usable floor space may be very limited.

The flooring/ceiling joists are old wooden joists and measure 7inch by 3inch (18cm 8cm).

They might be ok but it depends on the spans and the loads applied. Normally existing ceiling joists would not suffice to take additional loading if the room above is to be used as a habitable room. Ceiling joists are ok for access, etc... in terms for storage but nothing more. Hence why you'll find additional bigger (floor) joists are put inbetween the existing joists to strenghten the floor.

There is also a large velux window (new to replace the old one that was cracked, was cheaper to replace the full thing than replace the glass) which is... I forget but it conforms to the escape route policy (we figured since we were replacing it anyway may as well).

Escape windows are now not required as part of the building regulations. A protected staircase is required instead. This is definitely the case in existing two-storey houses where a third storey will be added, which is the loft room. There are some slightly different requirements for existing three-storey houses, etc...

Thank you!

The span of the joists is about 7-8mts from roof to roof with about 50cm space between each joist.

As for what it would be used for, a bedroom would be nice, but if its going to cost too much (ie over a few thousand) then no chance it will remain storage.

The usable floor space is pretty big beleive it or not.

TBH, I think it has been a bedroom, then its been all ripped out (probably to sell the house). We found a waste pipe and hot/cold water up there too, so it has been used.

As mentioned previously, your best bet would be to employ an architect to look into the possibilities and even come up with some sketch proposals to decide whether or not it's feasible.

I'm not an engineer. The existing joists would have to be proved they can receive the necessary floor loadings. If they need upgrading, then details/calculations from an engineer will be required.

As soon as a fixed/permanent staircase is installed, the rooms becomes habitable, which is when all the rules/regulations come into force. A "storage" room would have a pull down ladder or similar.

Sponsored Links
The ceiling joists would have been designed for light storage loadings, and are not adequate for bedroom loads.. would result in a very springy floor and ceiling cracks all over the place.. to get building regs would need to sister the ceiling joists with more suitable flooring joists and potentially steel beams to break the spans down to more sensible distances..
Net result would be a further loss in head room..

The span of the joists is probably OK. The OP states 7-8 metres roof to roof which I think means eaves to eaves, but there is almost certainly a wall midway. I refurbed a similar house and the 2nd floor was similar with a staircase and 7 x 2 joists. It was deemed to be a bedroom and the only works were to comply with protected stairway rules. Due to the slope of the roof headroom was restricted at the sides but as this was existing it was acceptable. I cannot say whether all BC's would take the same view, but unless other works are planned I would just do it, you are, in fact, refurbing an existing bedroom.

The joists at 500mm centres would struggle if the spans are over 4m.. assuming no additional load on the joists from roof or partitions..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back