Yet another Potterton Suprima question!

Thank you for responding to my question

It is sad that you do not feel the need to investigate/ look into a problem.

I don't see it as sad.

I posted in case it helped anyone then.

Times have moved on and virtually none of the old PCBs are still in use.

I spend my time primarily to enjoy myself and investigating any issues which are currently of interest.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Will get back to you have not been at home for a couple of days. I work away sometimes.
if so , have a multimeter with you (y) . sorry but can't be assed to read all again but did you change the harness at the same time as the pcb ?

Sponsored Links
I posted in case it helped anyone then.

Posting wrong information is not going to help anyone.
I have a customer with such a boiler/ pcb. He is off on holiday today till first week in may. Be looking at the boiler when he returns. Boiler has twin led pcb, i.e. old pcb. Had I followed your advice, I could be changing the gas valve AND the pcb, so clearly erroneous advice given that could potentially be the expenve advice.

I made it very clear that I was passing on information as given to me by Potty Tech.

Don't have any control over what they tell me!

Unlike some others, I share potentially useful information.

Posting wrong information is not going to help anyone.
I have a customer with such a boiler/ pcb. He is off on holiday today till first week in may. Be looking at the boiler when he returns. Boiler has twin led pcb, i.e. old pcb. Had I followed your advice, I could be changing the gas valve AND the pcb, so clearly erroneous advice given that could potentially be the expenve advice.

When you go there try measuring mains voltage at the boiler connections and at the gas valve.

As I recall the voltage at the gas valve is lower than the mains voltage which implies components in series with the supply which could be damaged by a faulty gas valve. But my recollection is based on measurements over 10 years ago and not important enough for me to want to remember them!

When you go there try measuring mains voltage at the boiler connections and at the gas valve.

As I recall the voltage at the gas valve is lower than the mains voltage which implies components in series with the supply which could be damaged by a faulty gas valve. But my recollection is based on measurements over 10 years ago and not important enough for me to want to remember them!
@DP good luck with testing that as a Suprima L gas valve operates at 300V DC

Well if that is so then there will be additional circuitry on the PCB which can well be damaged by a faulty gas valve.

Well if that is so then there will be additional circuitry on the PCB which can well be damaged by a faulty gas valve.
Its not an IF Tony it is fact so your measurements 10 years ago were wasted , I am guessing that 10 years ago you were not one of the top 100 gas engineers or you would have noticed that measuring the supply to the gas valve in AC was *******s

Said the spider to the fly
Tony has fallen into the trap by speculating things he has little knowledge of.
When I say something, no big head by the way, it will be because I have checked. If I still make a booboo, I will apologise and learn from my mistake and be humble about it. If I do not know, I will not get involved, period.

Clearly Tony does not take on board what is happening on the old pcb. I can dig out the new pcb also and check/ verify if a faulty gas valve will kill the pcb

I thought DP had already said that the gas valve was only powered by a relay and so thought it could not damage the PCB?

All I ever did was to state what Potty had said to me in case it was helpful to anyone.

I don't recall if the voltage was AC, DC or raw AC but I seem to recall that it was certainly not mains voltage. Thus implying other components which could well be damaged by a faulty gas valve.

Unbelievable it really is..:rolleyes:
Potterton certainly would NOT have admitted to a gas valve fault , jeez they wouldn't even acknowledge/admit that the boards were shyte.
I'm still interested in the fact that Vaillant updated their MI's after calling Agile to seek his advise , what was the advise they were seeking Tony?
Now this is a genuine question and no reason whatsoever to report it as abuse.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back