Yet more censorship

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nonsense.

"Would of" is used daily.

Just because we know what is meant is no reason to continue using it.
Well, it kind of is, because the majority of who use it KNOWS WHAT IS MEANT.

Language is a matter for Linguistics, not electricians or keyboard warriors. Language adapts, it changes, people understand. That’s all that matters.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
You should disregard it because you were taught incorrectly.

FIVE pages about Winston1, fame or infamy ?

Plug tops.....

For what is worth ( and I cannot find images to prove it ) there was decades ago a type of plug that had semi-protected terminals for wires and supplied separately were covers which provided full protection from inquisitive or wandering fingers. Not intended for domestic use.

You should disregard it because you were taught incorrectly.

I was taught 'plugtop' too.

As an apprentice of only a few days, I first heard the term 'plugtop', and was so tempted to 'correct' these people - yet resisted the urge, thankfully, as I would have looked extremely foolish.

Perhaps we should try to work out the origins of the term, rather than just say it's wrong.

FIVE pages about Winston1, fame or infamy ?

Plug tops.....

For what is worth ( and I cannot find images to prove it ) there was decades ago a type of plug that had semi-protected terminals for wires and supplied separately were covers which provided full protection from inquisitive or wandering fingers. Not intended for domestic use.

Yes, I was trying to think of those plugs, but couldn't really describe them or put it into words - this could relate to meaning of 'plugtop'.

And not at all annoying.
To you maybe, but then you annoy me. I got on with my piers and colleagues, just a few twits grate on me. Plugtop warriors are one. As if it actually makes any difference. Tomorrow I’ll go to work and laugh at you lot pedantic wallies.

It is annoying me ( No not Winston )

I cannot find anything about that plug. The three screw terminals were visible but recessed into the body

plug needing plug top.jpg

The socket at 25 is built similar to the plug I recall.

The plug would have pins instead of receptacles and the marked hole would be one of the three recessed terminal screw head.
upload_2021-10-31_20-45-57.png

Well, it kind of is, because the majority of who use it KNOWS WHAT IS MEANT.
In that example, yes, but not always therefore invalid.

Language is a matter for Linguistics, not electricians or keyboard warriors. Language adapts, it changes, people understand.
If it is; it should not be. Wrong is not acceptable just because you know what the mistaken should have written.

Schools would not be much good if they adopted your philosophy.
Correct and teach the ignorant. That is what education is.
If everyone were taught properly evolution would not occur.

You correct people when they make a mistake in electrical matters.

That’s all that matters.
No it isn't.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back