You get £1 million but can only buy things you wanted/liked growing up , what do you buy?

Sponsored Links
Rover SD1 V8S in Triton Green with the gold alloys.

Those SD1s could break you, but even the narliest example is unlikely to take you for a million. Fantastic engine let down by the rest of the car's reliability. A Granny will give you fewer sleepless nights, but without the V8.

Been watching these videos recently -

Sponsored Links
I love the 800 too.
Not the fastback and not the facelift. The original saloon. Cracking motor.

In fact, I am a big fan of BL stuff.
Even the poo brown Allegro!

I've owned or driven various Metros (both first and second gen and a first gen MG Turbo) Maestros (sadly not the Turbo), Montegos (including a dealer owned EFi) an Allegro, an Ital, an Acclaim, a 214 and 416.
Even drove a1980 Dolly Sprint round the dealer's yard.

So of the 70s and 80s BL stuff, pretty much the only thing I haven't driven is the SD1 and the 800. Oh, and the 600.

Last edited:
I'm afraid the 800 hasn't faired too well, although I think a restoration on this level is quite achievable! ;) ...

20230411_123518.jpg

1971 Mach 1 mustang with the cobra 428 jet engine designation

Recall at 14 years old being driven around a ministery of defence banked test circuit and seeing the speedo nudging 150 mph

Had a cousin who was a journalist for a mag called cars and cars conversion went on a test day with him

I had a SD1, manual. Fantastic car with velour seats, no problem apart from tin worm. I also had a VW type III fastback with Bosch fuel injection, just couldn't get it to run right, wish I still had it, worth a few bob, but I wouldn't go out and buy one now. I did hanker after a Yamaha TZ 750, wouldn't mind one now for the occasional blat round a racing circuit.

A coca cola machine dispensing ice cold glass bottles would be one of my first buys

In fact, I am a big fan of BL stuff.

I've got a soft spot for some BL cars too. It all started in The 70s. My Mum had a Princess 2200 HLS. It was quite quick in it's day with the straight six and twin SUs. With a caverous interior, huge comfortable velour seats and a 4 speaker radio it felt very special compared to the camparitively plain Cortina we had before it. While not perfect, I also liked the idea it was designed by Brits (Harris Mann) and built by Brits (when not on strike) at a British company.

My first car was a Dolomite. Alas not the Sprint - was the 1500HL.

Sponsored Links
Back