Your ideal customer??

Denzil said:
Ah, the mysteries of the pressure flow :confused:
Well, they're related and, generally, proportional. What else do you need to know?

I'm having something called the Dual Thermostore from Chelmer Heating which says it delivers hot water at mains pressure which is between 2 and 2.8bar depending on time of day.
I'm assuming that this means that you've measured your static mains pressure and that this is the measured range.

Am I right in thinking that I need "low pressure" taps and bath filler
Well, not really - low pressure outlets are intended for gravity (aka tank-fed) services, where the static pressure is usually between 0.1 and 0.5 bar. If your hot water is being supplied at around 2.0 bar then it opens up your range of options to include taps/valves suitable for use with high-pressure.

...but at the same time could probably get away without needing a pump...
You won't be able to use a pump if the services are all mains supplied. It's both impractical and against the law (Water Regulations).

...for the shower which the manufacturer says can work ok at 1.5 bar but the supplier for some reason tells me needs a 3 bar pump. (Hansgrohe Raindance Showerpipe)?
If it's intended operating range is 1.5 to 3.0 bars, then in your installation it will be just fine without any pump.

Sponsored Links
"""Oh, and treat him as an equal, and you're more likely to get on well. Trust and communication is everything."""

I dont think you should treat him as an equal!

He should be treated like an accountant or solicitor as someone whom you are paying well to provide you with a service which is to be in accordance with YOUR requirements not his ease of installation.

You should be fully aware of what materials are to be used and how work is to be done.

Dont wait until the basin is fitted to decide that you really wanted to have pipes chased into the wall ( 250% extra !!! ).

Tony

PS I dont like to be called a "workman"! In fact I dont do anything for anyone who wants to call me that!

Hello there Softus,

I'm assuming that this means that you've measured your static mains pressure and that this is the measured range.

Yes, we had the pressure and flow measured by the water board because we thought we had low pressure. They gave us a certificate to say 2.8 bar pressure but something pathetic for flow rate because the galavansed pipes from the mains to house are all clogged up. We are getting these replaced so the pressure should be 2.8 bar or thereabouts.

low pressure outlets are intended for gravity (aka tank-fed) services, where the static pressure is usually between 0.1 and 0.5 bar. If your hot water is being supplied at around 2.0 bar then it opens up your range of options to include taps/valves suitable for use with high-pressure.

ah, that's interesting because it has been hard to find a choice of low pressure taps in a contemporary design. There seems to be much better choice in high pressure taps.

Just out of interest would there be a problem using low pressure taps and bath filler with 2 - 2.8 bar?? Would they be ok?

You won't be able to use a pump if the services are all mains supplied. It's both impractical and against the law (Water Regulations).

eh?? I'm gobsmacked! Everyone is trying to talk me into having a pump - the architect, the supplier, the builder, the postman :p . The only person who says I dont need one is the German chap on the Hansgrohe helpline -and you Softus. Between you and the German you've saved me a couple of hundred quid - thanks :D :D

Sponsored Links
Agile said:
He should be treated like an accountant or solicitor as someone whom you are paying well to provide you with a service which is to be in accordance with YOUR requirements not his ease of installation.

You should be fully aware of what materials are to be used and how work is to be done.

Dont wait until the basin is fitted to decide that you really wanted to have pipes chased into the wall ( 250% extra !!! ).

I've promised the missus that on no account, never, never ever will I change my mind about anything and ask for it to be redone just because I didn't like it. That's why I'm asking a lot of questions at this stage before the work starts properly. I can understand the frustration of someone being asked to redo work they have taken a pride in.

As for treating the plumber in the same way as an accountant or solicitor: I hope he has got a bit more about him than my solicitor and a bit more personality than the accountants I know :LOL: :LOL:

Denzil said:
Hello there Softus
Yo Denzil.

ah, that's interesting because it has been hard to find a choice of low pressure taps in a contemporary design. There seems to be much better choice in high pressure taps.

Just out of interest would there be a problem using low pressure taps and bath filler with 2 - 2.8 bar?? Would they be ok?
This is something that I recommend that you verify with the supplier and/or manufacturer, so that they take responsibility for meeting your requirements, but I would expect most LP compatible taps to withstand 2.8 bar.

eh?? I'm gobsmacked! Everyone is trying to talk me into having a pump - the architect, the supplier, the builder, the postman :p . The only person who says I dont need one is the German chap on the Hansgrohe helpline -and you Softus. Between you and the German you've saved me a couple of hundred quid - thanks :D :D
Well, this is also subject to confirmation - Chelmer Heating should be in a position to advise you. I've no first-hand experience of the Dual Thermostore, and the information on the web site is very sketchy, but reading between the lines it appears that it heats mains cold water fed through a coil HX, so on this basis you would not need, or be allowed, to pump the hot service.

I think your approach to the build so far is excellent - gathering not only technical information but also seeking advice about man management aspects. Well done and all power to you. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back