Your ideal customer??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm having major building work done, and a lot of that will involve the plumber who I havent met yet. He'll be here about 4 months on and off doing different things so he's a major part of the success of the building project. :D

:?: Light hearted question for you professionals :?: : what makes the ideal customer??

- should I lurk about and show an interest?
- should I discuss things that I think might look naff (see my post about check valves)?
- should I ask him to come over for a chat prior to starting work to talk about the various appliances, shower and sanitary ware etc I'm ordering?
- should I expect him to have an input into the manufacturer and model of things like the concealed cistern, radiators etc?

or should I shut up and keep out of the way except for doing the tea and biscuits?

All the best, you may be my new plumber :eek: :eek: Denzil

Sponsored Links
Don't keep changing your mind.

Decide what you want, write it down with diagrams, give it to him and discuss it with him. Any of his suggestions that you accept, amend the written version, check that you and he are in agreement, give him one copy and keep one.

Be aware that subsequent changes will cost you money.

Keep an eye on what he's doing and if he diverges from what's agreed, ask why. There may be a perfectly acceptable reason for it. Or not.

And if you do start or even think about changing your mind tell him straght away so you can both discuss the pro`s an con`s . There is nothing worse than ripping out a days work even if you are getting paid again

Sponsored Links
The perfect customer.....you ask?

Easy..a deaf and dumb nymphomaniac with a flat over a pub.

(the oldies are the best :LOL: :LOL: )

Alfredo

Alfredo said:
The perfect customer.....you ask?

Easy..a deaf and dumb nymphomaniac with a flat over a pub.

(the oldies are the best :LOL: :LOL: )

Alfredo
:LOL: :LOL: Yeah reclining teeth and pull back ears with a flat head to stand your pint on

Worth repeating what JohnD says - WRITE EVERYTHING DOWN. IN DETAIL. Keep a file of brochures, plans, sketches or whatever you think appropriate. You are both likely to forget what was planned...

I think you should expect to know all you want about what he's doing. It's your house and you're paying for it. Ask about options AHEAD of time.
Make it clear that if there are extras (which there might be) he mustn't start working on the relevant bit until he's discussed it with you. Otherwise you'll get surprises.
Ask him about regulations before you start - you need to be confident he knows which ones apply and what they say!

Planning, agreement and understanding up front can save a lot of grief later. Cover everything. Eg if the floor slopes, don't assume he's going to level it. He might think it doesn't matter. Do let him do his job though, some things are worked out when you get to do them.

Thats an amazing original posting. It seem to be about major works and a plumber who the householder has never met and whom the householder has apparently no involvement in choosing.

Will he even speak any English?

Is he qualified as required for the work he is going to do? Water Regs for water supply pipes? Unvented for cylinders? CORGI for any gas or boiler work?

Does he just say he is CORGi registered or has he a photo card to show you. No one else can sign gas work off for him!

It looks like a minefield of disasters waiting to happen.

Do you expect him to use proper copper pipe? Or is he going to use lazy man's plastic pushfit joints?

What protection to your carpets and furnishings?

Can he leave the work in progress scattered all over the house when he knocks off at 5 pm?

Can he play Radio 1 at full volume 24/7 ? And smoke all day long and tread the stubs into your carpets?

Does he have to leave ANY toilet working overnight?

Dont any of the foregoing bother you?

Tony

Lazy man`s plastic :eek: Well that counts me out then...hope you`re not in Sussex, it gets used a lot in the County ;)...........well I could leave a toilet working ,but tend to do those in temporary plastic runs ........it has it`s uses :LOL:

Hello Agile

- well, it's probably not as bad as it sounds because we've been using an architect to draw up plans and he has used he same builder on the last 4 projects and the builder has used the same plumber each time. So although I don't know the plumber I do know and trust the architect and builder. :)

Do you expect him to use proper copper pipe? Or is he going to use lazy man's plastic pushfit joints?

that's the sort of question I need to ask him or the builder - so thanks for that tip

What protection to your carpets and furnishings?

the builder is protecting the carpets and wood floor

Can he leave the work in progress scattered all over the house when he knocks off at 5 pm?

yes, he can leave it in a tidy corner

Can he play Radio 1 at full volume 24/7 ? And smoke all day long and tread the stubs into your carpets?

Jeez, never thought of the radio. Perhaps he could compromise with Radio 2 :rolleyes: and I'd better dig out the ashtrays last used in the 1970s :eek:

Does he have to leave ANY toilet working overnight?

yes, it is in the specifications to leave one toilet working at all times

As well as the plumber there will be a couple of builders, a tiler and electricians - oh and a decorator. The builder plans to act as project manager (thankfully I'm not arogant enough to think I can do that - I've seen what a mess people get into on Grand Designs). The house will be like Paddington Station.

I just want to treat all the workmen well and be a good customer :D - any advice from the other side of the fence welcome :LOL: Being by nature a nosy old git I'd like to lean over their shoulder all day seeing what they are doing just out of interest but I guess I will have to curb that enthusiasm :cry:

Denzil

Tea and biscuits (McVities plain Choc digestive to be precise in spec.) Mid morning and mid aft. That will put them on side with you.

Then just look as though you are keeping an eye on the work from time to time. Make sure there are drain cocks(more than one, as one often jams) in sensible places for future use, and make sure system is properly flushed through with fresh water to clear flux & stuff (assuming you are avoiding the pushfit route) from the pipework, and then make sure a generous amount of inhibitor is added.

Make sure condensate waste pipe is accessible for cleaning, they do block, and that the joints on the condensate pipe are glued together in places where they will be inaccessible and not just push fitted as they can and do come apart in the most inconvenient of places (my own kitchen being one..insurance claim for rotted floorboards nine years ago). I had to dismantle a kitchen unit only yesterday to get to an elbow on a condensate drain that had detached itself mysteriously.

Its all just stuff that will save you grief in the future.

Alfredo

Alfredo

Denzil said:
what makes the ideal customer?
One who knows what he/she wants, asks for advice when he/she doesn't know, makes no assumptions, leaves me alone when I'm trying to work, makes my favourite cup of tea without having to be asked, doesn't ask to borrow my tools, and understands that I offer an emergency service and have to disappear sometimes.

- should I lurk about and show an interest?
No, and yes, respectively.

- should I discuss things that I think might look naff (see my post about check valves)?
Discuss everything cosmetic, by all means. It's your property.

- should I ask him to come over for a chat prior to starting work to talk about the various appliances, shower and sanitary ware etc I'm ordering?
Definitely. Offer to pay him for the time, too, so that you both know that you value his time and advice and keep focussed on the discussion. He might waive this part of his time, you never know. ;)

- should I expect him to have an input into the manufacturer and model of things like the concealed cistern, radiators etc?
Yes, unless you want to take full responsibility for choosing crap and/or impractical products.

One extra bit of advice - don't fall into the modern trap of assuming that you'll have acceptable pressure and flow at all accessories and appliances. Discuss the design of the entire system up front, and get your plumber's assurance that he won't install anything that he isn't confident will give the flow that you desire.

Oh, and treat him as an equal, and you're more likely to get on well. Trust and communication is everything.

Agile said:
Why don't you explain to the OP why you think plastic push-fit fittings are easier than copper push-fit, and why you aren't capable of a leak-free installation using plastic?

Softus said:
One extra bit of advice - don't fall into the modern trap of assuming that you'll have acceptable pressure and flow at all accessories and appliances. Discuss the design of the entire system up front, and get your plumber's assurance that he won't install anything that he isn't confident will give the flow that you desire.

Ah, the mysteries of the pressure flow :confused: :confused:

I'm having something called the Dual Thermostore from Chelmer Heating which says it delivers hot water at mains pressure which is between 2 and 2.8bar depending on time of day.

Am I right in thinking that I need "low pressure" taps and bath filler but at the same time could probably get away without needing a pump for the shower which the manufacturer says can work ok at 1.5 bar but the supplier for some reason tells me needs a 3 bar pump. (Hansgrohe Raindance Showerpipe)?

See how confused I am :rolleyes:

Denzil

perfect customer for me is the one who dosn't chat for ages then complains the jobs taking to long even though you dont want to ignore them, then there is the one like i'v got at the moment, who give us an architects plan. we'v done nothing like the plan,because the customer keeps changing there mind or can't make there mind up.but then they come out with a cuppa and all the cakes you can eat so all is forgiven. but i would recommend as myself to notify the customer at he /she wants from a job at various stages. you (the customer) are paying, and i like the praise from the end of a job if both sides are happy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back