Yucca Leaf Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can somebody please help me?

I have a Yucca plant indoors - I believe it is called a spineless yucca and it is about five years old. The plant is in front of a window.

Recently the ends of several leaves have turned brown - what is causing this? The problem occurs mainly on the top leaves and effects the top 1/2 or 3/4 of an inch of the leaf.

Will this harm the plant and how can I put it right?

Any help and advice would be much appreciated.

Davey

Sponsored Links
I will give it a try.

Thanks for your help :)

I know this is gonna sound daft - but have you watered it recently? More to the point, have you overwatered it?

I have a 20 year old spineless yucca and haven't repotted in 15 years (cruel aren't I?) It gets an occasional feed, an even more occasional leaf-wipe, and I had to cut it all down about 8 years ago when it hit the ceiling, but other than that it gets no attention whatsoever. They are very easy to overwater, however. Make sure it has dried out thoroughly before watering it again. I let a spider plant root into the pot years ago and use this as my water indicator - when the spider plant droops I give the pot a good soak. In the meantime, you could just trim off the brown bits with scissors.

Best of luck
Love and compost
Linda

Sponsored Links
Thanks Linda and Thermo.

The plant is still looking a bit unwell but doesn't appear to be getting any worse. I suspect that over-watering is the problem and I have purchased some moisture indicators from Q&B although I haven't used them yet.

Is it okay to feed the plant at this time of year?

Would room temperature have an effect? The plant is in front of a large window and it does get quite chilly at night.

Thanks for your help.

David

yes the temperature at night could have an effect. Its an indoor plant so yes give it a feed. It will take a bit of time for it to recover though.
Move it slightly away from the window

Thermo

Don't feed it now, it will not grow much over winter. If you must feed it, wait till spring. Don't water it until it feels really dry. The water indicator things are fine for stuff that likes to be moist, but Yuccas don't. It won't get too cold in front of your window - they are hardier than you think. I left one of my rooted cuttings in a pot outside summer before last and it's still there, still alive.

Love and compost
Linda

Linda,

Thanks for your help - you seem to be much better with plants than I am :)
I gave it a drink the other day as it was really dry but I will leave it now till Spring.
Fingers crossed - watch this space!

Love and compost :)

David

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back