Z-wave Home Automation.

Sponsored Links
Yes you could, but adapters are the work of the devil.

The control unit you linked to doesn't show the PSU (Transformer) so you can't tell if it is a 'wall wart' type or one with a trailing lead which you could change the plug on. Why not contact them and ask if they ship it to the UK with a 3 pin (UK) plug?

Hey

I have now spoken with Interactive Homes customer support. To everyone who orders products with an electric plug for example: Control units and Wall plugs, they will send with a UK adapter. They send adapters to all countries in europe which do not use Schuko or Type E wall outlets. Another advantage is that they have free shipping all over Europe. They also have the same Terms & Agreements that any other store in the UK does.

I have ordered:
1 Fibaro Home Center 2
10 Fibaro Dimmers
9 Fibaro Wall Plugs
6 Aeon labs 4 in 1 multisensors
and 3 custom made blinds which are Z-wave compatible.

Everything in total costed 2182£

How have you guys done with your dimmers, have you installed them yourselves or have you hired an electrician? Interactive Homes recommended me to use an installer, but I feel I can manage installation myself.

Sponsored Links
Sounds more like marketing bumpf from the company rather than what a consumer would say.

Sorry about that, I was just very pleased! How have you guys installed your products, did you install everything yourself or did you use an installer?

Idea is great much easier than with old SCADA system all pre-done for you. However I worry about too much Wi-Fi around the house where one items stops another from working. Having electric modules on the TRV is great but having to renew batteries no so clever and if hard wired for power then why use WiFi?

The other problem is when your central heating goes wrong who do you get to fix it?

As to dimmer switches well with LED bulbs this is rather expensive I have removed all dimmer switches.

What is wrong with a switch on the wall?
One has to walk to it.

Think of the kudos of having your lights controlled by messages that may have gone back and forth across the Atlantic.

The only place a wireless linked switch is sensible is where mains voltage cabling is extremely difficult to install. Even then the better option is to use ELV switches and miniature alarm type cable to operate relays that switch the mains voltage.

With increasing legal and compliant use of wireless on 433.92 MHz the reliability is starting to decline. ( one system blocking signals in another system ) There is also the use of illegal and non compliant equipment, some of this illegal use is intentionally malicious or criminal.

What is wrong with a switch on the wall?
One has to walk to it.

Think of the kudos of having your lights controlled by messages that may have gone back and forth across the Atlantic.

The only place a wireless linked switch is sensible is where mains voltage cabling is extremely difficult to install. Even then the better option is to use ELV switches and miniature alarm type cable to operate relays that switch the mains voltage.

With increasing legal and compliant use of wireless on 433.92 MHz the reliability is starting to decline. ( one system blocking signals in another system ) There is also the use of illegal and non compliant equipment, some of this illegal use is intentionally malicious or criminal.

Hey,

The system I bought uses the protocol Z-wave, I don’t believe this standard has as many problems. I have read alot about the protocol at Z-wave alliance’s website. http://www.z-wavealliance.org/

It seems that Z-wave is a very robust protocol compared to it’s competitors. Most Z-wave products on the market seem to certified by them. What protocol do you use for home automation?

Are you sure your not advertising this product? Are you affiliated with it?

It seems that Z-wave is a very robust protocol compared to it’s competitors.
It doesn't matter how robust the protocol is if the channel is occupied by other equipment the message will not get through. All that a system with the most robust protocol can do is wait until the channel is free and then try to pass the message.

As far as I am aware I am allowed to use 400W on that frequency what chance with a tiny transmitter have on a shared band if anyone used even 45W it would completely swamp it. Although since for digital in that part of band plan so not used that much clearly not reliable and so give me hard wired any day.

As a PS I note London there is a restriction on 70cm use within a declared radius of Kings Cross.

You may be able to use 400 watts on adjacent channels which are assigned to amateur radio but not on 433.92MHz

Look at page 17 of IR 2030 - Stakeholders - Ofcom

http://preview.tinyurl.com/o7ykddu

Non-specific short-range devices
Equipment may be used airborne
433.05- 434.79 MHz 10 mW e.r.p. Duty cycle limit 10%

Non-specific short-range devices
Equipment may be used airborne. Analogue audio applications other than voice / speech are excluded.
433.05- 434.79 MHz 1 mW e.r.p.

Have a look at lightwaverf - similar concept but much cheaper. Have a few of their gizmos in my house and it generally works quite well (not perfect tho).

You can buy the stuff in B&Q branded siemens.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back