zafira nightmare

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This relates to a zafira b, 1.8 petrol, 2012. I recently had the steering completely replaced after it failed. worked for a while and now it has intermittent power steering loss. it can be fine then suddenly goes heavy. mechanics have no idea and have basically advised against starting the work due to cost (recommending sending off parts for testing, cant do correct tests as its intermittent - one guy said its the pump but find this hard to believe as its brand new. )

I tested the alternator and all fine. someone mentioned it may be a wiring issue, or the ecu which makes more sense or even linked to abs sensors. The issue is I cant give to a mechanic as they are basically saying they have no clue and will need to replace parts one by one and it may still not fix the issue (£££££). Car only has 70000 and runs like a dream other than this. I'm happy to try myself as I can't see my expensive car sold for peanuts all because the steering cannot be fixed.

any ideas much appreciated

Sponsored Links
I recently had the steering completely replaced after it failed. worked for a while and now it has intermittent power steering loss

More information needed about this. What, exactly, was replaced, and why

And then

mechanics have no idea and have basically advised against starting the work due to cost

I would guess that the EPS lamp is on here, and power assistance would be lost in one direction before completely failing?
Contact the team in ecutesting.com for genuine unbiased advice.
John

I recently had the steering completely replaced after it failed. worked for a while and now it has intermittent power steering loss

More information needed about this. What, exactly, was replaced, and why

And then

mechanics have no idea and have basically advised against starting the work due to cost
So the steering stopped working and went to a garage who stated they replaced the pump and steering column . Came back and failt happened again. They said they made an error and did the job once again. Few months later intermittent pas loss again. I went to Vauxhall who said it requires huge investigation and was likely a highly complex electrical issue which would cost me more than the car is worth . Basically suggested it wasn't worth it. I don't believe it's the pump or alternator and think this may be related to wiring of some kind , but I need to sort myself as I can't spend thousands. Mechanics suggested I could spend large sums and even replacing the whole unit wouldn't necessarily fix it .

Seems ridiculous but several second opinions have stated the same . Apart from one guy who wanted to just replace ethe pump, again ! Despairing

Sponsored Links
If it's hydraulic based, replace any filter component if that's not already done.

Why can't it go back to the original garage again? Avoid the main dealers...

Why can't it go back to the original garage again? Avoid the main dealers...
It's a no go there unfortunately they re out of business . Trying cheaper mechanics but they re just immediately saying replace the pump . However , from others who had same issue on same car they Also replaced everything and didn't make a blind bit of difference. So shortof it being some wiring / complex electrical issue I m stumped.

If not hydraulic, why did you mention pump? What is it pumping?
My apologies , I am not that well informed . I just know it's electric power steering whereas not all power steering is electric . I will certainly look into the filters now

If not hydraulic, why did you mention pump? What is it pumping?

What is this?

Okay confused myself . It does have a pump so not sure how it can be electric power steering . Has a white bottle with lid ...so as you say must be hydraulic . Will address the filters

It’s Hydro-electric - a combination of both - an electric motor powers the pump. Personally, any major faults on a Zafira and I’d wave it goodbye. P/x it.

It’s Hydro-electric - a combination of both - an electric motor powers the pump. Personally, any major faults on a Zafira and I’d wave it goodbye. P/x it.
I m beginning to agree . I ve left it sat on the drive sorn because at 70 000 miles and all in good shape apart from the steering I felt there must be a way to get it fixed . It's beginning to look like game over . The Vauxhall mechanic suggested as much to be fair and said probably not worth looking at due to the fact it's likely irepairable. Will try looking at electrics as far as I can with my diy approach , but then it needs to go . Definitely lost our but I know zafiras are generally ....not great ....anyway

I'm nowhere near being a mechanic, but it sounds like an ECU issue to me. Had a similar problem with a Fiat Punto that wasn't being used much. Ecu replaced and car sold. The guy that bought it hasn't had a scrap of trouble in over 4 years and goes all over the country in it.

A good auto electrician may be able to help.

I'm nowhere near being a mechanic, but it sounds like an ECU issue to me. Had a similar problem with a Fiat Punto that wasn't being used much. Ecu replaced and car sold. The guy that bought it hasn't had a scrap of trouble in over 4 years and goes all over the country in it.

A good auto electrician may be able to help.
My mate has done the same on two Punto's that he owned. I think that problem may be particular to Punto's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back