Zampa

mkb

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Mr zampa. Looked at a couple of your previous posts and have a couple of questions. You say that 'on sites' they don't bother with knotting, primer, u / coat they just use contract emulsion and gloss. Is this right? should I not bother with knotting,primer etc.? Also you say turpentine substitute is not right for thinning gloss. Why ? By the way am not criticising as I am am in no way a pro but just curious. Cheers.

Sponsored Links
No..its really bad practice to not use knotting..if you dont use it brown stains fron the resin in the wood will bleed through after a while...(months)

you couldnt really get away with not undercoating...but ive seen 'painters' :rolleyes: try it...bash the wood work in with emulsion and gloss it...baddddddddddddddddddddddddddd practice.

They also have an habit of using emulsion on bare copper pies..it send them green..

Sometimes the order in which a house on sites is done is....filling nail holes with putty...undercoat the wood (no knotting) one heavy coat on the walls...not cutting in to the woodwork and then glossing..thus avoiding having to cut in twice on the trim..the result being that the gloss sinks into the non vinyl emulsion and it looks what is know as 'grinny'..in other words ..you can sometimes see the emulsion through the gloss.

All very bad...but sometimes forced upon the painter because a job has bene subbed down the line a few times and everyone taking a cut leaving bogger all for the last bloke..coupled with poor prices..contractors charge about 1500 quid for a 3 bedroom house..the painter gets about 500-600 of it..

I used to avoid site work like the plague because main contractors beat the sub contractors prices down as much as possible..not so long ago houses were about 70k new...not they are 170k but look at the wages of the average worker over the last 10 years...they havnt gone up much in comparison.

I must admit im not exactly free from guilt myself...when I have subbed to a painting firm I have had a stark choice..do the job 100% properly for someone your never going to see..and earn sod all...or cut corners and eat!...most painters would rather do a good job for good money..its not always possible though unfortunatly.

Oh...turps subs..I believe the reson you should use white spirit is that it turps can affect the chemical make up of the paint...maybe causing glosses to go flat if they are added in the wrong quantities..im not 100% sure though...but paint companies state the paint should be thinned with white spirit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back