Ze at infinity

i stayed in a holiday cottage a couple of weeks ago with the wifes family, on inspecting the DB i decided there was no incoming earth! the CU had been changed and much of the building rewired, bonds to water pipes cross bonds in the bath room etc so otherwise a good job! on my return trip to collect the wife i took my earth loop impedance meter, i was right no earth!!! we got a discount on the holiday!

Sponsored Links
Unfortunately that discount was soured by the fact that your wife was electrocuted in the shower due to no earth connection being available...

By the way if you contact your local SEC, they may do adult traineeships, this may help you, there should be a decent rate of pay, and experience on offer plus the prospect of a employment afterwards.

jeepmadmike said:
i stayed in a holiday cottage a couple of weeks ago with the wifes family, on inspecting the DB i decided there was no incoming earth! the CU had been changed and much of the building rewired, bonds to water pipes cross bonds in the bath room etc so otherwise a good job! on my return trip to collect the wife i took my earth loop impedance meter, i was right no earth!!! we got a discount on the holiday!
Do you make a habit of inspecting the electrics when you rent a holiday cottage?

"Come and see this lovely view darling"

"In a minute - just got to do some loop tests first"

securespark said:
Unfortunately that discount was soured by the fact that your wife was electrocuted in the shower due to no earth connection being available...
Especially as he'd been hoping for it to be her mother...

Sponsored Links
Hi all

Had the tele conversation with SP this morning. I must have been dreaming at the time as upon explanation of the problems they agreed without quibble to replace the cutout and provide an earth terminal. Result or what, well it will be when they've done it.

Regards
Martin

views get boring after a while! and the DB was just inside the front door, closely inspected the bath room while sat down!

Yeah, but you still to a loop tester with you :LOL: :LOL:

Do you want to see the photos of the wiring on my holiday? (no really) :oops:

RF Lighting said:
Do you want to see the photos of the wiring on my holiday? (no really) :oops:
Me too, I'm afraid. :oops:

And the gas pipework... :oops: :oops:

But in my defence I will honestly say that I genuinely did intend to complain. Just never got round do it.

Don't worry, its a known disorder, quite a few people on the IEE forum suffer from it :LOL:

I was in a student-ish bar once and I ended up noticeing some rather messy conduit work (just stoped in mid-air and T&E or flex snaked out) :oops: I also find myself visually checking things in friends houses, etc

Is there a cure? :LOL:

No, sorry. It is incurable, and terminal. In fact, when you're on your deathbed, you'll be pressing the ringer for the nurse to point out something or other....

Just get it put on your gravestone...

"His last words were: "That MEB conductor is more like 610mm from the stopcock..."

Hi all

An update on this. SP came today, and the very nice man confirmed that it was almost certainly DC originally and that there was a fused neutral. He very sensibly replaced the neutral fuse way with a Henley block which fitted nicely inside the cut out. Fortunately the condition of the fuse carriers and interior of the cable head wasn't in a deteriorated condition.

Photos of fuse below.

Interesting choice of rating, anyone identify if this is a BS fuse link? Unfortunately he could do nothing about the earthing, but he is going to recommend a cable head change which since it is non urgent will apparently take several months to happen.

Thanks to everyone who contributed their knowledge and understanding, it is much appreciated.

Regards
Martin

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h113/martin43_2006/IMG_1003.jpg
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h113/martin43_2006/IMG_1005.jpg

have you got a rod in and a main RCD or some other earthing setup yet?

People are always commenting that the DNO guys are very friendly and helpful!!! Has anyone ever met an unfriendly one??? :LOL:

I used to work for some DNO's, that must be why I was selected :LOL:

(they needed an unfriendly one!)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back