Zero/minimal digging conservatory bases

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello. I've seen some ads for conservatory bases which seem to use a steel frame and very shallow footings. I wondered if anyone has any knowledege of them. At least one supplies for DIY construction but I wouldnt be suprised if the cost was high.
Cheers

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Hello. I've seen some ads for conservatory bases which seem to use a steel frame and very shallow footings. I wondered if anyone has any knowledege of them. At least one supplies for DIY construction but I wouldnt be suprised if the cost was high.
Cheers
Since owning one for a few years, I have a very low opinion of connies, especially those that are poorly built - which they often are. My own connie was built upon an extension style base so it was relatively easy to convert to a proper extension, which we did recently.

If you look at them as infrequently used, glorified sheds that play host to the old treadmill, rotten furniture and the naughty cat, then they are fine.(y)

I had one with a bolt on frame. Stood on 5 legs sitting on hi grade concrete pads 4000 Nm? These were approx 400 mm square and 1000 mm deep. Frame gets bolted to the side of the building with about 4 bolts and then the legs are adjusted to bring it level. I think it was about £1.5 to 2k. Been up about 8 years now if its still standing.

Sponsored Links
Since owning one for a few years, I have a very low opinion of connies, especially those that are poorly built - which they often are. My own connie was built upon an extension style base so it was relatively easy to convert to a proper extension, which we did recently.

If you look at them as infrequently used, glorified sheds that play host to the old treadmill, rotten furniture and the naughty cat, then they are fine.(y)

I'm not a fan myself. But ive seen a few good ones that were probably a bit more like an orangery.
I'm clutching at straws really . Next door have a tree close to both our houses and im trying to think of a way around.

Would ground screws and a steel(?) base work?
Or some kind of beam and block?

My conservatory came with a durabase (steel frame). It also has steel frame walls with brick slips on the outside of the dwarf wall.

You still had to dig down a bit and put concrete pads in for it, although I've seen some just on paving slabs where the ground is solid.

I've got no complaints, easy enough to do for a DIY. More expensive than a traditional strip foundation, but save on the skilled labour for the foundations and bricks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back