Zetec engine problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was wondering if anybody could help me.My girlfriend has a v reg Ford Fiesta 1.25 Zetec.When the car is driven up a slight slope or worse it accelerates ok in first gear but on changing in to second it fails to accelerate and will not go above aprox 3000 rpm.The car is slightly better on the flat and ok downhill.I just wondered if anybody knew the reason why.Thank you

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Does it rev past 3k when at standstill?
If not, i'd be looking at an exhaust blockage / knackered cat

Try a new set of leads, they often break down under load.

I would go with neo's suggestion of blocked exhaust, quite common on these for the rear silencer (back box) to collapse inside, see if there is any sign of what looks like fibreglass type insulation material in the tail pipe, You could also try running the engine and see if much airflow is actually coming out of the tail pipe. (you could try removing the rear section and see if it makes any difference)

Yeah sounds like catalic converter blocked put your hand over exhaust(be carefull hot) see how much pressure there is.All else fails replace plugs leads and coil wont hurt it

I would think the rear silencer is more likely to be the problem, than the catalytic convertor. It doesn't sound as though its an ignition related problem,

Sponsored Links
Back