Zinsser paint and nicotine

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
My sister has a heavily nicotine stained room, walls and celing. I've read Zinsser's booklet on covering over the surfaces but, my word, the preparation seems to be very complicated. It seems the sound surfaces have to be hot water washed, degreased with meths, and then rubbed down with abrasive paper.

The room is papered with woodchip. Other than the staining, the surfaces are soundly stuck on. Isn't there an easier way than what Zinsser prescribes?

I'd appreciate some advice on this please.

Sponsored Links
Woodchip is horrible. Have you considered stripping it off? It might be more effective and no harder than trying to clean it. However it is most often applied to conceal poor plasterwork, so unless you are filling to get busy with the filler, you might need to cover it up again.

If you mean your sister will continue to impregnate the room with tobacco fumes, you might consider a "wallpaper" that can be easily stripped off in future, such as an easy-strip vinyl.

unfortunately no, Sugar soap and elbow grease is the usual way to remove fagnolia

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back