Zone valves which manufacturer?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi there,

can anyone give me some advice as to the best to go for. i am having a new system fitted which is going to have 2 zones. i have seen several news and prices, Drayton, Horstman, Danfoss and Honeywell.

Any recomendation would be helpful.

regards

Daz

Sponsored Links
Honeywell are the market dominator, but unlike others on here I don't like most Honeywell products.

I usually fit Danfoss and personally have never had any problems, other than getting them in the first place sometimes :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
I usually fit Danfoss and personally have never had any problems, other than getting them in the first place sometimes :rolleyes:

Danfoss is the one make I particularly don't like for reliability. They rely on metal sliding past metal to act as a gate for the flow. Inevitably this is a problem in systems which are not in good condition as crud will eventually cause the valve to go sticky and if not used in a while they will seize up.

Standard Honeywells don't have this problem so much as they block the flow with a rubber ball against metal. Also the ball rotates a little everytime it closes so the ball doesn't get a wear groove in it.

I also use another version of Honeywell which has a plunger to divert the flow between two ports. This also has the advantage that if power is removed it stays in the same position. The snag is that it has a 24volt head, however it does work directly with Atag boilers :cool:

Honeywell.

Easy to take apart and replace faulty bits.

I would have said honeywell too but recently we have had trouble with "thudding" three ports

So I would say Danfoss too, or ACL lifestyles

:)

Well guys thanks for all your replies.

It would appear that there is only one make i will be fitting!!!!

Thanks again.

corgiman said:
I would have said honeywell too but recently we have had trouble with "thudding" three ports
Doesn't that mean that it's closing particularly snugly? :D

corgiman said:
Doesn't that mean that it's closing particularly snugly? :D

Or it's been put in back to front. :LOL:

BTW Softus, any feedback from the "swelling balls in Honeywell valves" saga of a while back?

daz3770 wrote

It would appear that there is only one make i will be fitting!!!!

Make it Danfoss. Superior quality.

http://danfoss-randall.co.uk/pcmpdf/introducing motorised valves.pdf

I suspect hteng is talking about the "sliding shoe" type valve.
However their is another type which he may not be aware off.
The "paddle valve".

The paddle valve, on the other hand, provides the purist energy-saver with 100% tight shut-off. Manufacture is slightly more complex with accurate positioning of the outlet port inserts a necessity. There is virtually NO possibility of scale or solids becoming trapped in the valve chamber and paddle valves are often described as self-flushing.

giblets said:
any feedback from the "swelling balls in Honeywell valves" saga of a while back?
I started getting bland and non-committal messages from all concerned, so had interpret them as a general unwillingness to be specific.

However, I vaguely remember that whoever it was (corgiman?) that used to have frequent swollen balls, reported that it wasn't occurring so much anymore.

giblets said:
any feedback from the "swelling balls in Honeywell valves" saga of a while back?
I started getting bland and non-committal messages from all concerned, so had interpret them as a general unwillingness to be specific.

However, I vaguely remember that whoever it was (corgiman?) that used to have frequent swollen balls, reported that it wasn't occurring so much anymore.

perhaps some sort of cream solved that problem?

giblets said:

Alas I did suffer from swollen balls and change to Danfoss, better sticky paddles than swollen balls

:)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back