Meter tails REC and isolator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am installing a new Hager consumer unit. I have completly rewired the old one as this had to be done to pull the cables through the floorboards and up through the new plyboard covering. So I have some knowledge on this.

However the new Hager 16 way unit is much bigger than the current 8 way. So it does not fit in the same place as the old one.

This means the new unit is to be mounted a foot or so away from the old position.

Unfortunatly the meter tails are not long enough to comfortably reach the new consumer unit.

What is the best course of action to sort this out? I have read that an isolator may need to be fitted. Are these available for the public to buy?

If not will the REC fit it in and if so how much do they charge?

Sponsored Links
tails are availible from the likes of tlc direct or any electrical wholesaler and 25mm should be used

tails should generally be less than 3m althoght the limit varies depending on the rec

technically the service fuse should only be pulled by the rec. most sparkys just go ahead and do it.

most sparkys advise against diyers doing it but if you do decide to go ahead and pull it be aware of the following

1: stop current flow first and don't allow it tb be resotred until after putting the fuse back (ie make sure the main switches on the CUs are off while the fuse is out) this is to stop arcing

2: be carefull to only touch plastic as some older fuse units leave exposed lives when pulled

Leave the cut-out (main fuse) to the REC!

Ring them up, and ask if they fit DP isolators to allow you to completely isolate the CU. If so, how much? If not, fit your own with new tails connected to both sides of the iso, ready for connection:

(i) to the meter at one end, and

(ii) to the CU at the other.

Once they have disconnected, you can fit the new tails into the CU, leaving them to wire the other tails into the meter and reseal the cut-out.

See tlc-direct.co.uk for iso. You will need a dp switch isolator rated tou your supply fuse (100, 125A?) and a plastic enclosure with din rail. 4 module is good, because you have a little more room.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back