Quick question: Buying replacement Oven.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just a quick question.

My built-in oven doesn't heat anymore, but as its old i've decided just to get a new one.

Its an electric built-in oven with a separate gas hob.

I was examining the connections and fittings I noticed that the Oven is connected to a standard 13A double socket with standard 13A fused plugs (one goes to the oven, one to the hobs).

However, this standard double plug socket is wired from a 32A cooker socket which is connect from the cooker fuse in the fuse box.

I cant tell whether my old oven is required to be 13A (Although it is rated at a max of 2.8 kW, Voltage 240V) as its too old to find any specs.

The new builtin ovens that I like say requires 20A or 32A.

If I get one of those requireing 20A or 32A will I be able to disconnect the wires from the old oven on to the new one or is there going to be a problem and I'll have to get an electrician in for complete rewiring. Ive talked to an electrician friend and he said it would be fine. But I want to be double sure before spending almost a grand on a new oven.

Sponsored Links
most SINGLE ovens (on which you can ONLY use either the oven or the grill, never both together) can be wired into a 13 amp plug. If its under 3kw, its fine.

If its over 3kw, it needs its own circuit. This applies to most double ovens.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Unfortuanlty the oven I had my eye on was a double at 7kW as I was hoping for a oven and seperate grill.

My second choice was single oven but thats rated at 3.5kW.

Oh well, I'll have to see how much a rewiring would be or lower my standards for a replacement.

Thanks for the help.

You may not need to rewire, but you will need a spark.

What rating MCB or fuse is your cooker circuit fed from??

Do you know what size cable it is? If not, post a picture with something to compare it to, and we'll tell you.

With a couple of modifications you may be able to adapt the existing wiring.

Sponsored Links
Ok, thank for the help
Its hard to check everything as the whole lot has been tucked behind cupboards. Plus Ive only moved in a year ago so all the setup was done by the previous owners.

From the fusebox:

Ive got a 32A Cooker on the fusebox

Connected to the 32A cooker socket

Below the countertop, the supply goes behind back of the cupboard. Note that this is 14 mm wide cable.

Actually in the back wall of the cupboard, is a double socket. The left one is a 5amp plug connected to the gas hob, the right one is 13a plug connected to the Oven.

After switching off the power to the oven using the trip switch on the fuse box. Opened the double socket. There 5mm in diameter.

Is there a way of having a double oven ~7Kw AND the gas hob connected up without having a big rewiring job?

Thanks in advance.

yup...
Me in another thread said:
MKK2025.JPG

or

AP636.JPG

depending on what you already have..

then one of these..

MKK5045.JPG

and one of these..

MKK0780.JPG

gas hob plug into the socket, the double oven wires into the cooker connection unit..

So how would I connect up both from the single set of wires?

Just wire to one and then get some extra cabling and link to the other?

yup.. cooker conection unit first, then use AT LEAST 2.5 to connect to the socket ( load is limited by the fact it's a single plug and can only draw max 13A.. )

The cable that will go from the cooker connection unit (the thing on the right hand side) to the cooker will need to be 6mm.
The maker's instructions may specify that the cable is heat-resistant.

Great thats what I thought. Id bought most of the components already. I was going to confirm everything with my electrician mate before I did anything. (or hopefully convince him to did it for me ;) )

Only the cabling left which I was going to buy was the the 32 amp cooker cabling from BandQ. Obviously check if its heat resistant.

Was going to use that to connect to the oven AND from the cooker point to the socket internally.

Just one final thing...

If I wire this up to now be a 32 Amp cooker connection with 13Amp socket. Can I connect this to my current 13A oven from the cooker point and the socket to my 5amp hobs? Just to make sure that its all been connected properly. Didnt want to risk trying it on a brand new oven

yup.. cooker conection unit first, then use AT LEAST 2.5 to connect to the socket ( load is limited by the fact it's a single plug and can only draw max 13A.. )

I would use the same CSA of conductor as that which supplies the circuit.

easier said than done sometimes..

it doesn't need top be any bigger than 1.5 since it's feeding a single socket so is limited to 13A.. ( I wouldn't use smaller than 2.5, but that's personal preference )

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back