VW Golf starting problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Having problems with my daughters 1999 VW golf cabriolet, 8 valve, single point injection.
Daughter returned home with car running perfectly, went to move it would not start.
Since then i have replaced coil pack, leads, rotor arm and distributor top and plugs without success.
Have now discovered if i squeeze fuel line to restrict petrol flow with some grips it will start, release grips it appears to run okay.
Dont know what to do now?

Sponsored Links
Have now discovered if i squeeze fuel line to restrict petrol flow with some grips it will start, release grips it appears to run okay.

where's that info from? if you don't mind. thanks

When it wouldnt start, removed spark plugs they were very wet, thought try restricting fuel, then found it would start.

Sponsored Links
either the injector is knackered and flooding the engine or the temp sender is sending wrong signals to the ecu causing overfuelling

Or the mass air flow meter is sending wrong signal to ecu.

Wotan

Thanks for your thoughts, is there any way they can be tested or am i going have to buy each one until i solve problem?

Is there a diagnostic socket in this model, cant find one anywhere, Haynes manual and handbook doesnt mentiopn one?

Yeah, definately got one.
Either be under / behind the ashtray or there will be a plastic panel which slides across when the ashtray is removed

Yea it has got a 16 pin diagnostic socket...
Try bottom of center dashboard near ashtray, there should be a panel to pull out

Sorted!

Thanks for all your help, it transpired that it was the temperature sender that was the problem. Replaced, car now perfect!

Quite common thing to go on VW's. Luckilly they're a 2 minute job to do with change out of £15 for parts

Sponsored Links
Back