Cable Run.URGENT HELP

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone tell me what the minimum distance above the floor that a horizontal cable run can be. I'm in the middle of fitting a kitchen and I need to install extra wall outlets. What I was thinking of doing was running the 20mm conduits close to the ground(perhaps about 2" above it) so I don't have to cut slots into the sides of the carcases. The plan is to run the two 20mm conduits under the base of the carcases where the leg supports are. All I'm doing is extending the current ring and I will be fixing the conduit to the wall.Am I breaching any electrical reg regarding the height of this horizontal run, being so close to the floor.

Sponsored Links
Is this cable run going to be flushed into the wall, or will it be run on the surface?

i take it this will be surface mounted?

no need to use conduit if it's behind the units, hardly going to be banged are they..

also.. Part P notifiable..

Is this cable run going to be flushed into the wall, or will it be run on the surface?
I will screwing the 20mm conduit to the wall , but is there a minimum distance this horizontal run should be above the floor

Sponsored Links
i take it this will be surface mounted?

no need to use conduit if it's behind the units, hardly going to be banged are they..

also.. Part P notifiable..

Hello there Coljack, sorry about my ignorance but what is 'Part P notifiable'.
I know it may seem like overkill but I want to protect the cable by running it through 20mm conduit. Also , do you happen to know if there is a minimum height above the floor for this horizontal run.

Part P is part of the building regulations.
it applies to all electrical work in a dwelling in as much as it states that it must be done safely.
certain aspects of electrical work you need to inform the LABC (Local Authority Building Control ) that you are planning to do that work.
you have to pay for the privalige too..
they will send someone round to inpect your work and make sure tat it's safe..

if you don't tell them then come the day you want to sell the house you may find it difficult because you won't have the necesary paperwork to say you have done the electrics safely.

If the cable or containment are surface, exposed rather than buried under the plaster you can run them how you want.
Logic being that they can be seen !

For appliances with connections under the counter line and areas that can't be accessed (say the item is smoking / on fire) you should desgn in above counter isolation.

if you don't tell them then come the day you want to sell the house you may find it difficult because you won't have the necesary paperwork to say you have done the electrics safely

how will they know.....

anybody with any sense asks for a PIR of a house they are buying.. if for no other reason than a point to haggle a few hundred off the price..

said PIR or survey will flag up that there has been electircal work done in new colours and then the solicitors ask about paperwork for the work done..

anybody with any sense asks for a PIR of a house they are buying.. if for no other reason than a point to haggle a few hundred off the price..

said PIR or survey will flag up that there has been electircal work done in new colours and then the solicitors ask about paperwork for the work done..

Q. Were the new colours available prior to Part P?

it's a good indicator tough, and further investigation may result in hard evidence.. a lot of plastic items have the manufacturing month and year embossed on them during the injection process..

And even ignoring that, all the prospective buyer's solicitor has to do is ask if any work requiring Building Regulations approval has been done, and I believe that that's becoming an increasingly standard question.

At which point, if you don't have the paperwork, there are two ways to proceed.

1) Lie, and turn a Building Regs problem into fraud.

2) Tell the truth, and hand your buyer a stick to beat you with.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back